is it safe to do this?

heyitswebb

Seaman Apprentice
I want to put a 250lb 1972 evinrude 100hp outboard on my 20foot party barge it has 30 inch pontoons it was made by alhoa boats but I can not find any coast guard ratings on the boat. What do you think? Would it be too much motor, too much weight? Thanks Tim

envy83

Seaman
Re: is it safe to do this?

You're definitely well within coast guard regulations as there are none relating to Pontoon Craft (they only legislate mono-hull craft <20 ft). However assuming the motor mount will hold up you're not putting yourself in any danger powering up that big of pontoon. If the old motor was significantly smaller I would consider beefing up the motor mount, which fortunately on pontoons is really is.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I do not think there would be a weight issue as my motor weighs more than that, however she squats a bit. My rig is rated to 80 hp on 24" tubes, so although you may be a bit high on the hp I would think you are not out of range to bad. I do not know what theory they use to rate toons but it would not be on speed im sure, cause your gains per hp is minimal over 17mph. (something like that) So I would think realistically the biggest isue would be mount integrity and some other safty factor I have not accounted for.

heyitswebb

Seaman Apprentice

WELL I made a mistake. My pontoons are only 20 inch instead of 30. So my qquestion is do you think that a 250 lb 100 horse outboard is too much motor for a 20 foot alhoa party barge with 20" pontoons. What would be the best way to brace the transom to support the bigger motor, it hass a 35 hp mercury now. Just wanna beef it up a bit. Accepting all comments, Thanks Tim

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Total newbie in the pontoon area, but my Weeres 20' with 20" pontoons is rated for 70 HP. Just a FYI thing.<br />(I have a 40, wish it was a 70 :D )<br /><br />Charles