Is it right to tilt up in shallow water?

kellmike626

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is it right to tilt up in shallow water?

For running in the trailer position on my 05 3.0L Merc, manual recommends staying under 1200 RPMs when running in the tilt up position. I have no choice but to run it that way when parking and getting out of my spot, because I park in 2-3 feet of water. If I don't, I get stuck when trying to park.
Like people say, doesn't hurt if you have to do it for a matter of seconds or for just a minute, but don't run it above the recommended RPMs, or else you won't get very far :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

You are NOT to run the engine when the outdrive is raised up via this control.
You guys need to read the manuals. Both Volvo and Mercruiser (even OMC) allow operation outside of the trim range up to maximum RPM limits. Merc is either 1000 or 1200 depending on dates of the manual. Volvo is 1000 RPM. These are not flippin' time bombs . . . The poor OP asks a question, the manuals have the answers, and then we totally confuse him with absolute contradictions.

Now with that said, I am not suggesting this is a good thing. I guess it should be avoided, but the feature is there for beaching and shallow water operation which is also mentioned in the manual ;)

basbalj288

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thankyou for all the wonderful responses and settling my nerves that built up after reading this BUT I APOLOGIZE for getting the convo off topic. That's not fair to the original guy who posted this thread so I'm sorry Lazypp.

lazypp

Cadet

This forum is awesome! Thanks to you all for your pointers! Facts, suggestions, and opinions are all well received in helping me figure out how not to be a boating "idiot".
Thanks again everyone!

Philster

Captain

DARN FOOL DEFINED: Someone who accepts what the manual says. Mercruiser and Volvo have outdrives that are jury rigged solutions to getting engine power to the outdrive, and they provide you with MINIMAL amounts of guidance and recommendations for minimums, but boaters in the real world who actually live active boating lives with these poor excuses for engineering will set you straight, dare you listen.

What the manual doesn't tell you is that should you ever have a non-perfect execution of the Do's and Don't, you can kiss serious am'ts of money away.

If you think you will never make a mistake, then follow the manual. The suggestions work great on paper. In the real world, you'll make a mistake and burn up something or break something, so make you standards a bit tighter.

None of this matters if you can drop $2500 for each of your mistakes.

QC

Supreme Mariner

One thing we totally agree on: I/Os are engineering abortions :)

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I wish i had a trailer button. My IO just has the trim button on the throttle. When I get ready to trailer, I just hold that button down until the pitch changes and then drive it home. It'd be nice if I just tapped something and it did it itself. :)