Is it practicable for boat shipping coast to coast... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbateau

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at a boat in BC, Canada, but I'm from Montreal, Quebec. I'm wondering if it is practicable for boat shipping coast to coast? Anybody did that before? How much it could cost for that? Thanks.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Is it practicable for boat shipping coast to coast... ?

I looked into having one hauled out from the mid west and given a rough guess of a 2,000.00. The boat wasn't worth that much extra to me so I didn't buy it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

about 3 bux a mile. rail is cheaper.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I'd say that in addition to cost, one might consider integrity of shipper and get in writing who assumes responsibility and where, and are they bonded so that if they go broke and your boat disappears, you get your money back.

Mark

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

I got a quote for a sailboat being shipped from Florida to North Carolina, around 3K.

mr 88

Commander

Size of boat and is it on a trailer are two factors.uShip.com is a starting point.Sign up,no obligation and free.Put in bid request,that is how much you are willing to pay.Sometimes you may get a few bids.You do NOT have to accept any of the bids and they give you a few days to make up your mind.You may get more hits on your bid if you are flex-able on you shipping time table.16' boat on trailer cost me 900 from Cali to NY last March.

Newbateau

Seaman Apprentice

I'd say that in addition to cost, one might consider integrity of shipper and get in writing who assumes responsibility and where, and are they bonded so that if they go broke and your boat disappears, you get your money back.

Mark

Thank you very much for your input. Do you mean we need to write a contract between the seller and us? and how to make the "bond"? Thanks.

Newbateau

Seaman Apprentice

Size of boat and is it on a trailer are two factors.uShip.com is a starting point.Sign up,no obligation and free.Put in bid request,that is how much you are willing to pay.Sometimes you may get a few bids.You do NOT have to accept any of the bids and they give you a few days to make up your mind.You may get more hits on your bid if you are flex-able on you shipping time table.16' boat on trailer cost me 900 from Cali to NY last March.

Hi Mr 88, thank you very much for your info. That really gives me some hope to expect... Could you provide a bit more detail info? How the whole process works for the delivery? Did you buy the boat from Cali by online? Are you satisfied with the boat and service? Many thanks for your answer!

mr 88

Commander

Boat was through a online site.Had relative from Cali look at it and had him take care of financial matters with seller.If your looking at substantial money for a boat online I would have a survey done to make sure it checks out. Most of the uShip shippers are insured and they get paid by you when delivered.They do not have you prepay so that is in your favor.uShip itself does take a small percentage after you okay the deal,through paypal etc.You can look at feedback on the shipping company if you have any doubts about shipper.Worked smoothly for me and I am happy with boat and delivery service.

Newbateau

Seaman Apprentice

Boat was through a online site.Had relative from Cali look at it and had him take care of financial matters with seller.If your looking at substantial money for a boat online I would have a survey done to make sure it checks out. Most of the uShip shippers are insured and they get paid by you when delivered.They do not have you prepay so that is in your favor.uShip itself does take a small percentage after you okay the deal,through paypal etc.You can look at feedback on the shipping company if you have any doubts about shipper.Worked smoothly for me and I am happy with boat and delivery service.

Thank you very much for your answering. I wonder how to "have a survey done to make sure it checks out." What do you mean exactly? and it took how long for your boat been delivered from Cali to NY? Thanks again.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

prac?ti?ca?ble/ˈpraktikəbəl/
Adjective:
Able to be done or put into practice successfully.
Able to be used; useful.

yes.

cost effective and worth the effort and obstacles, maybe.

Newbateau

Seaman Apprentice

prac?ti?ca?ble/ˈpraktikəbəl/
Adjective:
Able to be done or put into practice successfully.
Able to be used; useful.

yes.

cost effective and worth the effort and obstacles, maybe.

Sounds like a linguist! lol How many languages do you speak?... :D

mr 88

Commander

I think it took 3 days .A survey is done by professional person that should have extensive knowledge of all aspects of the boat,from hull layup to hot water heater and all parts in between.They will give you a figure of what the boat is worth.Try googling marine survey. What are you exactly looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.