Is it myth or reality - SS prop ?

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made a lot of reading here and on other forums about running a SS prop on an engine smaller than 150-HP and often it is said that it is not valuable, because there is not enough torque from smaller engine, because for an engine running slower than 50-mph there is no need for SS prop and so on and so on...

Now from experts what is the real answer - is it a myth that there is no benefit for an engine from 115-hp and smaller beside the fact that the SS prop will last longer, will it give more efficiency or it will only be a nice shiny piece on the lower unit ?

Thanks

MC

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Is it myth or reality - SS prop ?

I have a SS on my 115 and have run them allot. With that said........ 50 mph and below really is not too much different then aluminum. The prop itself will outlast and take more abuse (my reason for use) to the blades however, both AL and SS have the same rubber hub.

I used them on bass boats where I have been is questionable shallow areas and get bumped. SS is better if there is a need and not all of them look pretty ;)

cribber

Lieutenant

I'm on my 2nd year with a 4 blade SS prop on my penta 3.0 I/O. It's not a speed demon by no means, but I got great holeshot in return. Changing out your prop all depends on what you're trying to change on your setup. Just keep your WOT rpms near maximum recommended. Just don't lug the motor... and you'll be okay. What do you have to work with and what needs to be updated?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Since the blades are GENERALLY thinner on a stainless prop, it takes LESS horsepower just to turn it through the water (Less parasitic drag) so there is more horsepower available to propel the boat. This will be true on any engine, however, the smaller the boat, smaller the engine, and the less top speed attained, the less noticeable the effect will be.

Where does the cost for the stainless become not effective for performance gained? That is dabateable but certainly you would not really want one on a 9.9. I do run a stainless on my 55, but that engine is on a high performance hull which can allow the engine to develop better HP at speeds of 45.

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you have to work with and what needs to be updated?

Well at the end of last summer I broke my 3 blades aluminum - I backup to far on a big stone and one blade broke off. So since I need to have another prop, I was wondering if a SS prop will do a better job for almost eveything holeshot, better top end speed and fuel saving in midrange cruising. My engine is a Mercury 4-strokes 115-HP 2007 - and with the Blackmax 17'' P original it was doing near 6100-rpm - the max on this engine is 6400-rpm and 39 to 41-mph.

But like I said - I saw many statement saying that for that type of engine I will not see much difference if none, so before spending too much money on a prop if it is not worth - I would like to see what others have for similar experince.

MC

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well Solas has gotten some great reviews and I heard rumor they are now making OEM props too. Check out the iboats store.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Solas makes aftermarket replacement props for OEM applications only.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Friend of mine has a 17 foot bass boat with a 90 Merc Opti on the back.

Stock alum prop he was around 37-38 mph. SS prop he is 41+ mph on GPS. 3-4 mph is 10% plus which is definately worth it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

At some point there is a point where ss would be a questionable choice. Now if run in water that is full or rocks.. logs or you are a bit over enthusiatic on beaching a boat...Stay with alum...If you want top performance get ss. Boats like cars bring out creative passion..the need to personalize it a bit...give it that just right touch or look...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My boat goes nowhere 50 mph but going from a aluminum to a stainless prop was like day and night on my boat.

Getting a #5K boat up and out of the hole in a hurry takes a lot of torque. My hole shot performance went from pretty pathetic with the aluminum prop to "hold on? with the stainless prop. Going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade stainless prop was yet another step up in performance.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Went to a stainless prop on my 70hp Mercury. Floating kelp was beating up aluminum props. Can't say I ever noticed a difference in performance, but the stainless prop has lasted me 5 yrs now where I was changing out aluminum props once or twice a year before.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

My boat is over 4500 pounds and I am running quite a bit more than the 115 hp. and I can reach 50 mph (when the wind is right) and have run both stainless and aluminum and hands down stainless has better performance.

I bought the aluminum as a back-up prop and had to try it out since I didn't want to be on the water when something happened and employ a solution that I had not tried out. Performance dropped considerably as well as a dramatic increase in fuel consumption.

I think it's one of those things you'll have to try and decide for your self.

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, but as I could see guys who had good result or good difference are cruising with heavy boat and with engine bigger than 115-HP - I know that the best for me will be to try one, but I was just questionning for who ever has a similar setup like mine had good result. My boat is 17.5-feet aluminum - 1400-lbs boat only and engine is 400-lbs plus all the rest with fishing gear - gas - batteries - I have a total of 2495-lbs with nobody on board, where you could add up 330-lbs for me and my wife.

Thanks again !

MC

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I use a 4 blade stainless Solas HR Titan prop with my 70hp evinrude. I have a 17ft boat and tested a half dozen or more aluminium props before settling on the SS. The SS prop has a better design, thinner blades, better holeshot and power under load than similar pitch aluminium props.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One solid remark (ppun intended) caught by a few is the fact you run in waters with rocks. The SS wil not be forgiving and your next repair might be with the lower unit instead of a prop. With the softer aluminum, your blades will bend or break when coming into contact with a hard surface (rocks, stump, etc.).

The AL will flex more, bottom line. Higher the HP, higher the potential flex. That is why "they" say to go with SS on higher HP applications. Everything is unique to each boat and the application.

I'd stay with the AL if you think further hard contacts are probable.

Good luck!

:cool:

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

One solid remark (ppun intended) caught by a few is the fact you run in waters with rocks. The SS wil not be forgiving and your next repair might be with the lower unit instead of a prop. With the softer aluminum, your blades will bend or break when coming into contact with a hard surface (rocks, stump, etc.).

The AL will flex more, bottom line. Higher the HP, higher the potential flex. That is why "they" say to go with SS on higher HP applications. Everything is unique to each boat and the application.

I'd stay with the AL if you think further hard contacts are probable.

Good luck!

:cool:

Thanks Rob, I know about hitting a rock or stump and beside the cost of the SS prop - it is a reason why I still hesitate before going SS, as I use the boat for mainly fishing and often on reservoir where it is the kingdom of rocks and stumps that are just below water surface.... it is scary sometime.

MC

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a 4 blade stainless Solas HR Titan prop with my 70hp evinrude. I have a 17ft boat and tested a half dozen or more aluminium props before settling on the SS. The SS prop has a better design, thinner blades, better holeshot and power under load than similar pitch aluminium props.

Thanks for your input Trendsetter, but this why it is not easy to really define if it will or will not be valuable to set my 115-HP 4 stroke with a SS prop, you are saying, and I believe you that you saw a difference between the alu and the SS with your engine when some didn't see much or no improvment with 90 - 115 -HP engine. I think I will have no other choice to try and see by myself, but it is making sick a bit when spending 500$ and not been sure of the result.

MC

sublauxation

Lieutenant

It may not be a bad idea to keep an eye out on Ebay for a ss prop, sometimes you can find some good deals.

oldfordcrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi there is many pros and cons to the ss or alum thing one of the biggest you can consider is stainless may last longer at 2 or 3 times the price but if you hit something with an aluminum 90% of the time all you will have to replace is the prop!!!! hit it with stainless and most of the time you will be fixing your entire lower end or outdrive. something to think about!!!!

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi there is many pros and cons to the ss or alum thing one of the biggest you can consider is stainless may last longer at 2 or 3 times the price but if you hit something with an aluminum 90% of the time all you will have to replace is the prop!!!! hit it with stainless and most of the time you will be fixing your entire lower end or outdrive. something to think about!!!!

I agree