Is impeller suppose to look like this?

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wanted to share one of the many surprises I found today while changing the impeller for a "new to me" boat. Keep in mind that I have been using the boat for about a year since I bought it. The previous owner assured me that impeller was just changed.

In any case, when I pull open the water pump casing, this is what I found. I'm completely puzzled as how the motor could have worked for the past year with the impeller fin bended in different direction. The motor ran fine and never over heated. This is a Tracker Marine Force 40 from 1997.

P1050440.JPG

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Is impeller suppose to look like this?

looks like they where uncertain of the direction to put the fins so they put them both ways....funny. Put a new one in, you have it apart. Good call on checking it even after be told it was just changed.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The impeller is ok that way won't hurt a thing.As it turns it orients itself inside the pump.
Take it out and see if the vanes straighten or stay set in the curve.That will tell if it's bad.
Look at the inside of the housing and the wear plate for grooves.Excessive grooves will affect water flow.Most pumps will push water even in poor condition.
The ones that have impellers that are set in a permanent bend and the wear plates with dime size grooves that you need to worry about.J

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What the heck? Never seen anything like it.

Maybe thats so the pump works when you make left and right hand turns with the boat? :)