Is ignition already hot enough? 78 350 with 260 drive,

Half Fast

Cadet
Would there be any point in putting an MSD ignition system in this unit or is this already getting a hot enough spark from the stock ignition system? I was thinking of ungrading to an electronic distributor & maybe the MSD spark unit too.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is ignition already hot enough? 78 350 with 260 drive,

Any point/condensor ignition system would benefit by upgrading to at least a pointless system like a Pertronix ignitor and a hotter coil. I'd be carefull in replacing the whole distributor unless A) it is marine B) you can adjust the advance curve to suit your marine application. Marine curves tend to be more agressive than automotive curves. Most manuals will show the curve for your engine.<br /><br />I'm really wondering how much improvement you would get by going beyond the pointless distrib by adding the higher output MSD style ignition. I think these are really in their element when used in considerably higher rpm motors than marine motors.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The MSD will not show any improvement in performance over a well maintained stock ignition below 6000 RPM.

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why not just use your point system to trigger the MSD? Points work just fine for triggering if the dist. is in good shape.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

why bother at all? just maintain your present system as designed and it will work well for years and years.<br /> or to upgrade, find the prestolite BID system that volvo and PCM and a few others used for years. another good choice would be the delco EST sytem that is common on many marinized GM v8's. all will perform decent to 6000 RPM and parts are avalible eveywhere. really nice thing about the EST is it has no mechanical advance parts to rust. its a total electronic advance system.