Is engine coupler toast?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is engine coupler toast?

Sometimes it takes an experienced old hand to walk you through these things, Nate.

The crank snout is the end of the crankshaft where the front pulley/harmonic balancer (HB) is mounted. HB lost me too until I typed and went :facepalm:.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks for the replies. I took the coupler off and took it to the marina. The old guy there said it looked good, pretty much new condition. I'm going to take the boat down there this week and he is going to help me with the alignment and look at a few other things. Hopefully I will make it to the lake befo summer is over.

What is HB? Crank snout? Is that the front mount?

HB = Harmonic balance. Pressed onto the front end of the crankshaft... Some people call it a snout.. No idea why, doesn't look remotely like a nose, it's just a shaft.

If the engine sat for 15 years, with a rotten transom, then it's quite possible the yoke sat in the coupler out of alignment. As it was just sitting there all that time without turning the coupler rubber may have picked up a 'set'. If you can set it up so it's turning evenly (in a lathe for example) you may be able to set the amount of the 'set'... If the set isn't too much, just find the best centre alignment and let time do it's thing again. The set may come out. Personally, I'd just buy a new one and know it will align correctly and you don't run the risk of damaging the yoke.

Chris.......

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the responses; I'm learning quite a bit. So, last night I am putting on the coupler, and I thought I was screwed when something happened. I put the flywheel on, then the coupler, and started tightening the nuts with the loctite. I have most of them at least half way tight when I realize I left the lower front cover off. It has a hole that the starter goes through, so it cannot be put on after the fact. I start loosing the lock nuts, and 3 of the 6 bolt studs come out. I was really worried, but then I just put on more loctite and torque everything down. The bolt studs were threaded on the other end also. As I tightened the lock nuts the bolt studs tightened into the part that comes of the crankshaft. It looked and felt solid. Hopefully I am right, time will tell.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Captain, that old of motor, in my humble opinion, needs to be really examine and especially pan for potential rust and internal for rusting as well. If fresh water cooled, not as much worried????? Even in Fresh water, rust will accumulate. I don't know THAT size of motor well since I have mostly delt with Chevy V8s. But, while out I'd go through it all carefully. You might consider a new long block. Go back with good stuff. I rebuilt 1/2 my transom too and put new remanufactured 350 in that hole. Everything, including coupler, Fly W , block, and starter was tested and painted multiple times to eliminate future rust. And, loctite is a damn good idea. Don't use permanent stuff. Good luck!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got the engine back in it's place, and took it down to the marina. The mechanic bang the alignment tool around a lot more than I was, and got it aligned. He also looked at the bellows, shift cable, gimbal bearing, and outdrive. He said it all looked fine. I guess you could say I didn't really know what I was doing. Oh well, I feel better knowing that the old mechanic gave me the thumbs up. He told me a few pointers on putting the drive back on, so that will be next. I'm anxious to get this thing in the water.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

I know it is water over the dam, so to speak, but banging doesn't sound good. I suspect if motor turns over and doesn't wobble, you are good to go. The outside of motor looks incredibly clean, but rust fools everyone!

captainnate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Tank, I'm going to give it a try the way it is. Hopefully I dont break much. I gotta get this boat on the water or get rid of it soon.