Is a 24v trolling motor worth it?

chad711

Seaman
I am looking at two trolling motors right now. Both Minn Kota. One is a 55 lb 12volt and the other is a 70 lb 24v. I understand I will need another battery for the 24v and I have searched the wiring diagram to connect both batteries. So sounds like I need get another battery if I go to 24v route.

Pro's? Any Con's going this way? Do I have to re-wire?

Both of these are either new or like new and asking around 375 to 425 for them. Is this price good?

Thanks in advance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is a 24v trolling motor worth it?

Price depends on model and condition. Yes, you need two batteries for a 24 volt motor. You can't get 24 volts from a single 12 volt battery. Yes there is an advantage to a 70# thrust motor. It gains you 15# of thrust. It all depends on which two motors you are comparing. A 55# motor with a maximizer (like a PowerDrive) will run longer than one without that feature and it will cost more. Do you have room for two batteries. Do you actually NEED 70# of thrust. You don't need 70# if your boat is a 12 or 14 foot tinnie.

chad711

Seaman

Mine is a 17'7" Nitro.

I know about the extra thrust. But does a 24v volt troller need less charging? It runs longer basically? I have three battery compartments so I will be fine on battery space.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Chad,

Did you get the trolling motor tripping problem solved? Last I remember, you had found a 40 amp breaker which was tripping at only the highest setting (5 speed) 55lb thrust TM. I thought you were going to check all connections, verify fishing line not wrapped on shaft, and to make sure you had 6ga wire, and if so, go to a larger breaker. If so, are you happy with the 55lb thrust or do you need/want to go higher? Is the reserve not enough? What size battery are you running today?

Unless you have determined the TM is trash, it is better to fix your current wiring and run with what you have to get a good baseline, before buying another.

chad711

Seaman

Hey John,

Well the plug was cut on the trolling motor and rewired before I bought it and it was a horrible rewire job so we redid that. We actually soddered it this time and cleaned it up. It still trips at 5 speed but seems like it takes longer to trip. The wires are very thick so I don't think it's the wires that are the problem. It's a 40 amp breaker and I did plan on getting a 50 or 60 amp one instead.

However that is the reason I want a new trolling motor. I want a foot controlled one so that is why I am shopping.

How can I tell if the wire is 6 gauge? I would think it is because it's pretty thick. Not sure on the battery but it seems to run fine.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Hey John,

Well the plug was cut on the trolling motor and rewired before I bought it and it was a horrible rewire job so we redid that. We actually soddered it this time and cleaned it up. It still trips at 5 speed but seems like it takes longer to trip. The wires are very thick so I don't think it's the wires that are the problem. It's a 40 amp breaker and I did plan on getting a 50 or 60 amp one instead.

However that is the reason I want a new trolling motor. I want a foot controlled one so that is why I am shopping.

How can I tell if the wire is 6 gauge? I would think it is because it's pretty thick. Not sure on the battery but it seems to run fine.

I understand about wanting a foot control, but you are looking for answers on thrust and battery reserve, which are more applicable to your specific boat, weight, configuration, and the conditions of how, and how long you fish.

If you have been happy with setting of 1 - 4, then a 55lb should be enough. Get a maximizer model with the largest reserve capacity as you can fit.

If you can get a fairly accurate measurement of the wire diameter, should be able to tell. It should be marked on the insolator jacket. I have a wire gauge, but will get a measurement from my 6ga for comparison. Will post that tonight.

chad711

Seaman

Can you explain this:

Get a maximizer model with the largest reserve capacity as you can fit.

I'm still learning here! ;)

Thanks

John_S

Rear Admiral

Can you explain this:

Get a maximizer model with the largest reserve capacity as you can fit.

I'm still learning here! ;)

Thanks

Minnkota calls it a maximizer. MG calls it something else. Basicly, it provides infinite speed control, and saves some battery power at less that full speed settings, over the set speed type like you have.

As far as the battery, you may be limited by the physical space. Common to have a group 27, but if you have room for something larger, like a group 31, consider it. It will cost more, but you were asking for reserve capacity. In general, a larger (group) battery of same brand/model, will have larger reserve capacity.

Reserve capacity is a specification on the battery. Given a set load (usually 20 or 25A), how many minutes it can power that load.

mAlton

Cadet

I am surprised that a 17 1/2' Nitro didn't come out with a 24 volt system already on it. I would have figures it to be pretty much standard anymore.

chad711

Seaman

It's a 1995 Nitro.

I went to Napa today to get a 50 or 60 amp fuse and I explained why. They recommended against it. They said that was probably a fuse that came with the trolling motor back in 1995 and going over would either burn up the motor or waste battery life. In short it sounds like the motor might be just old and on it's last leg. I look at the prop on the trolling motor and it's clean of fishing line, etc. I am going to take apart the motor and look at the brushes the motor spins on and see if that looks bad.

I might just be getting a new trolling motor and that is what I want any way! I'd just feel better about spending the cash if I knew it was for the better! :)

John_S

Rear Admiral

It's a 1995 Nitro.

I went to Napa today to get a 50 or 60 amp fuse and I explained why. They recommended against it. They said that was probably a fuse that came with the trolling motor back in 1995 and going over would either burn up the motor or waste battery life. In short it sounds like the motor might be just old and on it's last leg. I look at the prop on the trolling motor and it's clean of fishing line, etc. I am going to take apart the motor and look at the brushes the motor spins on and see if that looks bad.

I might just be getting a new trolling motor and that is what I want any way! I'd just feel better about spending the cash if I knew it was for the better! :)

You are probably going to ruin a perfectly good trolling motor, by taking it apart.

A new trolling motor (55lb) will have the same problem.

The "general" rule for a trolling motor is 1 Amp for every pound of thrust. A 40A CB is too small for a 55lb. MK's standard CB is 60amps.

Given the prior owner had the same issue, either it originally came with a 40lb thrust and someone upgraded to 55lb, or it has been rigged wrong since new.

chad711

Seaman

I didn't know that general rule of thumb. If that is the case then maybe I will try it out. Regardless I do want a foot controlled one as it's just much more easier to deal with.

My brother and I are pretty mechinical so not to worried about ruining the trolling motor if we take it apart.

Thanks for the info, you've been a great help!