Is $750 for an Evinrude XP 200 89' that runs a good deal

edwinbonneau

Cadet
First...sweet site...I have found myself glued to the site for the past week!

I want a project! I currently own an 87' Evinrude XP 200 on the back of my Astroglass. It runs ok.

I found an 89' XP 200 from a guy that is replacing it to get back on the water sooner rather than later. It has even compression on all cylinders but 1 (bad ring says the mechanic) The mechanic also told him that the cylinder walls looked ok and the motor could be rebuilt. Everything else works and is included but the throttle/control unit. Good lower unit, good trim, etc...

I am in no hurry to get this motor up and running. I have always wanted to rebuild a motor figured why not on my boat. You might think me crazy, not looking for an opinion on that subject (already know the answer). Just want to know if it's a good deal....even if i get in over my head and just part out.

Thanks in advance!

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is $750 for an Evinrude XP 200 89' that runs a good deal

Welcome to Iboats! Whether or not the Motor is a Candidate for a rebuild depends on several factors. Most of which are only noticeable when the engine is torn down completely. But you seem to just want something to tinker with and possibly rebuild. $750 Is about what I would consider paying if all the engine needed was a mild rebuild. Can you turn the engine freely by hand? It should have a little resistance but not stop or hang up at any point. If it does, The reciprocating assembly may be damaged beyond repair (Fiscaly) Good Luck, have fun!

jonesg

Admiral

That price is close to what I see on craigslist for blown engines, mostly I see 150hp for $650.

edwinbonneau

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I won't be able to see the engine until he brings it in. (he is not in town) He also said he can still start the motor but won't because he doesn't want to mess up that cylinder wall any more. I was thinking the lower unit alone was worth $750 if I cleaned it up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

For that price I'd take it. If you can fix it yourself it's a good deal.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

was thinking the lower unit alone was worth $750 if I cleaned it up.

More about $300 as SIE has killed the prices on lower units, your can buy a new unit for $895 with 3 yr warranty. I myself on a 1989 open deck 200 with cylinder down wouldnt give more than $350 as it will need more than you expect to repair. I havent seen many open deck blocks that wasnt worn past spec's. A motor that age completely rebuilt with warranty I would be lucky to get $2000 for it in my area....

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you don't want it then I'll take it. These are the last of the easy motorsw to work on. Everything is straight forward. No sensors!!!!

And it's a Rude!