Is 235 too hot?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is 235 too hot?

Are you sure the thermostat is in the right direction?

attachment.php

Attachments

• tstat.jpg
    tstat.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So now it is running at 160? is the problem solved then?

chiefalen

Captain

If she runs all day at 170 ain't gonna hurt nothing just you don't want it near 190.

Then in your case if it goes near 190 the risers got to come off when were they off the last time? You run in saltwater or freshwater ?

Went back to the original post and i see this is a 1988 boat.

Maybe the risers never been off the motor yet? And if you look at the pic the starboard one is rusted, might be normal, however my vote now is for the risers to come off.

Thats gonna be the solution to this over heat condition.

cbavier

Lieutenant

235 is way too hot. My 4.3 runs about 160-180

Don S

i took it out this morning just outa curiosity. the motor runs steady at 155 to 165

It should run a lot colder than that with the thermostat out. You have something plugged up. My guess is some impeller vanes stuck somewhere causing a flow restriction. While it may shoot water out 3 feet, there may be plenty of pressure, just not enough volume.

There is a tube that goes through the transom shield that necks down and makes sharp bends. It's a great place to get pieces of impeller blades trapped. Take off the inside hose and see if you can poke a flexable electrical wire through the tube, pull the drive off when you do this and hook a water hose on boat side and back flush it.

Could also be vanes stuck in the end of the power steering cooler, have you pulled the hose off and looked in the cooler?

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

well im an idiot! the boat was never over heating! thank god... there are 2 temp censors. one on the circulating pump and one on the intake manifold. yesterday when i replaced the gauge and the sending unit, i put the sending unit on the water pump! i assumed it was the only one. well, we all know what happens when we ASSume! I PUT IT IN THE WRONG PLACE:eek: so once i figured that out, i put the new sending unit on the intake manifold. low and behold, it worked:) the old one was bad. the motor holds a steady 160 Deg now.:D im so sorry for wasting your time and for frustrating the HELL out of some of you guys. live and learn right? thanks for the advise and tips. Happy boating:D:D:D

Don S

Now you see why in my first reply to this thread I said.

Get an IR temp gun and verify your engine temp.

Glad you found your problem.

deves3000gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thats great:D that sounds likesomething that would happen to me.
glad everything worked out