IPhone..Worth It?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am thinking of switching from Verizon over to ATT in order to get an IPhone. It will probably add another $40 to my bill when its all said and done. Is it worth it? I already have an ITouch so I am not gaining anything there except that now they will be integrated into the same device.

Comments?

Tonka Boater

Cadet
Re: IPhone..Worth It?

I think it's absolutely worth it. Having everything (phone, email, music, internet anywhere, tons of apps) integrated into one package makes life simpler for me. I actually use the iPhone GPS on the boat more than my in-dash unit.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Purely a personal decision on your part, based on what you use it for. For me, no. I don't need or want anything other than a basic phone that I only use very occasionally. I get what I want for $8.33 a month.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have played with the iphone and I really like it. Verizon does not carry iot and the AT&T coverage does not fit my needs so, I have a Blackberry Storm and it does everything I need.

If you can justify the need I would say go for it.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Yes. I avoided it for awhile, but I'll never look back. Best phone I've ever owned, however, there are complaints...

Battery life sucks & then some. Need to pay attention to your settings (turn wifi off when not in use) & get a car charger.

Syncing the iphone seems to take forever & some updates have lost my settings. Not that big of a deal, but had to redirect some folders for apps & such.

They're not military grade. The 1st time you drop it, you feel it. I've had my screen replaced already (free of charge). CR may rate Apple service top notch, but I was not happy with the whole process.

With all that said I'd still take it over just about any phone on the market. I've had your standard issues & a blackberry, but it is by far the best overall IMO. There is a lot more cool stuff the iphone is capable of, but I figured I'd lay out the drawbacks.

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

They take water very well! My wife has jumped in the lake twice with it. All she does is let it dry for two days and turns it back on. Its been a good 6 months since the second plunge and its still working fine. All the apps are cool although some are unnecessary.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Battery life sucks & then some.

Syncing the iphone seems to take forever & some updates have lost my settings.

They're not military grade. The 1st time you drop it, you feel it.

Don't they have an app for that?:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You have to ask yourself if you could find a better use for the $500 a year it will cost you.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The phone is cool, but it requires AT&T cellular service. That is a deal breaker for me.

???

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok here is my honest answer I looked at the iphones and knowing I am semi rough on phones opted away from them . I have a Crackberry which will do most of what the iphone will do . I will add here on ATT . I have 5 crackberries on my account and ATT could not for any reason actually get the bill right I also had issues with coverage . I own an HVAC company and this time of year I spend quite a bit of time in basements and I lost signal constantly with ATT . I switched over to Verizon this month and thus far have been very happy with their coverage and the fact my phone hasnt lost service once yet . Verizon is a fantastic company and their customer serviced cant be matched by any other company that I have dealt with . The only problem if any I have with the crackberry ( I have the curve ) is the size of the keyboard . I have some big gorrilla hands :D and it can get tricky dialing a number or texting at times with it but the basic keyboard is exactly like that on any computer so if you can type on a computer then its easy to learn where the keys are . I would never ever go back to ATT due to their customer service and their coverage area . My first bill was almost 250 pages and the idiots there made me fax them all 250 pages back so they could figure out why my bill was wrong . My thoughts there are " didnt you idiots send me the bill dont you have a copy there somewhere already or do you destroy the evidence once you mail the sucker out " . The decision is yours but I wont recomend ATT to anyone for anything .

Rick

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree withg you on AT&T service. I would never consider their cellular service, but did give them a chance at internet service recently. I did this because I got sick and tired of Cox acting like morons. I dumped them and went to AT&T, using my phone (Sprint) for internet in the meantime.

I haven't had a house phone in about 13 years. I have no need for one, because my cell phone is with me at all times. Because of this, I told AT&T that I would install a new line and RJ connector for the internet. I did that, leaving about 24" of line at the external terminal box, on the side of the house.

On the appointed day, AT&T never showed up. When I called them at 4:00pm to see if they were going to come, they insisted that they had completed the work order. No matter how carefully I explained that their salesperson had been informed that I would run new wire, and that they would have to replace the terminal box, which was corroded inside and full of spiders, they refused to accept that they couldn't have completed the order. Further explanation that the previously referenced wiring was still unconnected to anything, brought no change in their position. They adamantly insisted that their computer record said that the job was done, so that had to be true.

I went to Sprint the next day, asked for an air card and received it in 30 minutes. Twenty of those minutes were spent installing software in my laptop, setting it up and showing me how to use it.

Five minutes after that, I went to the AT&T store, which was about 300 yards away, and told them to cancel the order.

(This post brought to you by the wonders of a Sprint air card, which is currently installed in my desktop computer, but can be used pretty much anywhere I feel like using it!)

???

iplayonline

Cadet

i love my iphone but the bill for it not so much. its great for maps and web browsing. but i mean having an itouch is basically the same thing. but if you dont mind paying a rediculous bill go for it

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

You have to ask yourself if you could find a better use for the $500 a year it will cost you.

Here here, these gadget phones are a huge waste of money for what is basically "bling"...worthless bling after two years at that.

I wish they would concentrate on antenna/reception quality and battery life instead of all this crap on the phones. Maybe I am getting old and should get a jitterbug.:D

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I looked at the iphone and ended up with a sprint Mogul (6800). I've never looked back.​

NOAA-Sprint.jpg

Realtime navigation on all the NOAA charts for $49.​

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Here here, these gadget phones are a huge waste of money for what is basically "bling"...worthless bling after two years at that.

I wish they would concentrate on antenna/reception quality and battery life instead of all this crap on the phones. Maybe I am getting old and should get a jitterbug.:D

We think alike !!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If the Iphone was available on Verizon, I think I might get it. Unfortuantely, the Iphone is not made with CDMA yet so that point is moot.

Maybe the Android phones!

Rickairmedic

Commander

The Blackberry storm is a touch screen phone and there are apps that will make it look and act exactly like an iphone ( with one exception ) you wont drop calls constantly :D. I Razz my neighbor constantly about his Iphone dropping calls no matter where he is . I will keep my Blackberry and Verizon AT&T can kiss my :D:D:D.

Rick

captsmoe

Cadet

Yes and No! I really wanted the waterproof phone by Casio but the iPhone won out for the apps. Lots of good apps. My current favorite app (AquaLights) identifies vessels by their navigational light configurations.

Soundings magazine called the iPhone the Swiss Army knife of the phone. Yeah but you can get a knife wet !

Soon, with the introduction of the Android, these apps are supposed to work on many, many other phones.

Then maybe I can get a truly water proof phone!

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have one but have used one. I dont have the need for it. I have at&t service and it is very good. Customer service was good when I needed them. I had a problem with my bill and to satisfy me at&t gave me one year of unlimited service for free. Pretty good if you ask me.
I am not too up on the phone tech, does at&t or anyone make a phone that has an Ipod in the phone without being an Iphone?