Intro and Question

jmerc57

Cadet
Hello Folks, First off let me introduce myself, Im a 50 year old Male from Staten Island NY and love anything that has to do with the ocean or outdoors. Im glad I foung this place and I hope to be an accet to the community here as well as to learn from others. I just purchased a 1989 Monterey Cuddy cabin 2300sx with a mercruiser. Im looking for any manuals or spec sheats I can find on this boat. Ive been to the Monterey forums and looked and asked to no avail. I spoke directly to a rep at Monterey and was informed that their headquarters had a fire a few years back and most of what they had was lost. Hopefully someone here has something or knows where to look. Im not looking for a freebie Im willing to pay so any info would be greatly appreciated.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Intro and Question

Welcome to the forum. I know you said that you just purchased this boat, are you new to boating as well ?
One of the hardest things for me to wrap my head around when I first got into boating was that Boat manufacturers don't really make the boat, they assemble it. The larger the boat the more that is evident. Yes they make the hull, however just about every other system is pre-made by someone else.
The first and largest part of this is the propulsion ( engines and drives). You can take your engine and drive model AND SERIAL NUMBERs to any Mercruiser dealer and order the FACTORY SERVICE manual. Chances are the engine controls, gauges, the steering sytems, etc. all have manufacturers names on them. You can find parts and info on the web for that particular system. Other than the hull, about the only custom made item on a boat is the wiring harness.
If you have any specific questions, do an archive search on here. If that doesn't answer your question.....post it. Everyone will try to help.

jmerc57

Cadet

Ive owned boats since 1980 when I purchased a 17 foot bayliner. then a 30' richardson for a while then on to my last boat which was a 20' Mako CC with a johnson Outboard which I had for 7 years untill I just upgraded to the Monterey. Just thought it was time to find something that would keep me more protected from the elements.

Basically I just wanted something with the specs and how to use a few of the features on the boat like the proper use of the stove, also Ive searched high and low but cant find where the input for the fresh water for the sink is. Also wanted to know the size of the fuel tank. The last owner wasnt much help as he inherited the boat from his father in law who had passed away. As far as the engine and outdrive Ive sent for the manuals for them already.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

jmerc......welcome to i boats......

this place IS the best on the net for any thing about boats. the guys here really know there stuff........and as you can see, the forum is quite busy, so the answers are quick....

the archives......(..use "search"....) are filled with any question ever asked about a boat or anything that goes in a boat......

cheers
oops