Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

BrianB
When you moved your battery forward, did you change the guage of the wire, by splicing into the old wire on the minn kota, or did you replace entire wire from point of origin to battery? I want about 6 more feet of wire for me to move the battery forward on the Mariner 3 to balance out the weight. I have a minn Kota 40 endura. Do I need to change the entire wire to a smaller guage. Any suggestions from the 12 V wire gurus.
Thanks

Yes i made a wiring harness, #10AWG ran two times for positive, two times for negative. I dont know what the effective AWG would be, more than likely #8AWG.

When your trolling motor has been on #5 for a while, lets say a minute or two- you should be able to feel the wiring in your palm,- there should be no heat being given off. Heat means the wire is too small, heat is resistance in the wire.

No, i didn't replace the original length of wire to the head unit, the wiring harness is merely extending the wiring without adding resistance, the original 4' or so section of very flexible power cord needs to be retained.

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

finally its here!!!

View attachment 229055

I've been reading this forum ad following this thread last whole year! It helped me a lot! kudos to all to you for contributing in this thread! I hope to do so with everyway i can in return.

LOL, congrats! Wish mine was new again. First thing- take a sharpie and write "install motor mount first" at Boston Valve #4, second- order a small can of "SailRite HH-66", its not very cheap, but you need it for quick repairs, very good stuff.

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Looking for Ideas on a custom motor mount

Anyone else knock a giant hole in theirs yet- i did second trip out- completely my fault.

I sacraficed one seat and used tge material to double patch from inside and out, that HH66 is great stuff!

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone else knock a giant hole in theirs yet- i did second trip out- completely my fault.

I sacraficed one seat and used tge material to double patch from inside and out, that HH66 is great stuff!

"PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH" is the only sound that increases pucker factor in the intrepid Mariner 4 captains hearty soul!!!! LOL

Gerald1755

Cadet

For what it is worth....I used regular 5/8 plywood painted with exterior paint. Glued down indoor/outdoor carpet to it and it is holding up great. My floor is 3 pieces. One rectangular piece and two identical pieces for the tapered sections fore and aft. Very snug fit and very secure once inflated. I do however drive a truck so I don't have to worry so much about the larger size of the one section of plywood. Good luck!

Last edited:

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

LOL, congrats! Wish mine was new again. First thing- take a sharpie and write "install motor mount first" at Boston Valve #4, second- order a small can of "SailRite HH-66", its not very cheap, but you need it for quick repairs, very good stuff.

Yes I quoted myself, LOL

Noticed yesterday I posted the wrong air chamber, not chamber #4, WHATEVER CHAMBER HOLDS THE MOTOR, :facepalm:
I think it's #2, but you get he point.

The SailRite saved the day AGAIN yesterday. I was fishing a big crankbait, set the hook hard and somehow the fish came unbuttoned, crankbait flying at the boat at 40 mph, clung into the mariner PVC like a million daggers, aired that chamber all the way down, applied cleaner, the HH66, took two attempts, second application sealed the treble hook penetrations right up. Two hours later I was at full inflation again. (The whole deal cost me MAYBE 15 minutes of down time- I LOVE THIS BOAT

Last edited:

AKTrout

Cadet

For what it is worth....I used regular 5/8 plywood painted with exterior paint. Glued down indoor/outdoor carpet to it and it is holding up great. My floor is 3 pieces. One rectangular piece and two identical pieces for the tapered sections fore and aft. Very snug fit and very secure once inflated. I do however drive a truck so I don't have to worry so much about the larger size of the one section of plywood. Good luck!
Good to hear. I've got a sheet of 5/8" in my garage waiting for the boat to show up tomorrow. I didn't know if the 1/2" would have a little give while standing on it, so I went with the 5/8".
I also happen to have a full can of "interioir/exterioir porch & floor gloss polyurethane enamel" that was left in my garage by the previous homeowner. Any idea if this would do the trick before carpeting the plywood? I've also got some typical exterior latex paint. If neither of these is ideal, I don't mind picking up a can of the proper stuff to keep that wood floor in good shape.

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to hear. I've got a sheet of 5/8" in my garage waiting for the boat to show up tomorrow. I didn't know if the 1/2" would have a little give while standing on it, so I went with the 5/8".
I also happen to have a full can of "interioir/exterioir porch & floor gloss polyurethane enamel" that was left in my garage by the previous homeowner. Any idea if this would do the trick before carpeting the plywood? I've also got some typical exterior latex paint. If neither of these is ideal, I don't mind picking up a can of the proper stuff to keep that wood floor in good shape.
Might as well use the gloss poly....Once it is thoroughly dry,-2-3 days, when you want to apply the carpet cement, lightly sand the side you want to carpet.This will "de-gloss" that area and allow for better bonding for the cement
BTW Be sure to do the edges,maybe twice and the floor inflation valve hole with the poly enamel...water likes those little holes.
With the 5/8 and the carpet...you lugging that in and out of the boat all summer, you will have shoulders and fore-arms that Arnold S would envy...HEEEAVY!!!!

AKTrout

Cadet

Might as well use the gloss poly....Once it is thoroughly dry,-2-3 days, when you want to apply the carpet cement, lightly sand the side you want to carpet.This will "de-gloss" that area and allow for better bonding for the cement
BTW Be sure to do the edges,maybe twice and the floor inflation valve hole with the poly enamel...water likes those little holes.
With the 5/8 and the carpet...you lugging that in and out of the boat all summer, you will have shoulders and fore-arms that Arnold S would envy...HEEEAVY!!!!

I didn't know if the weight savings of 1/2" would really be much better compared to the 5/8". The plan is the router the edges and sand everything real good, then with the rounded edges wrapped in carpet I would exclude the pipe insulation protected edges.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fwiw.....I used 1/2" for my floor, 3 coats of exterior paint and liquid nails for the carpet and it's more than adequate. I'm a big guy... 6'1" 275lb and it has never have me any problems.

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't know if the weight savings of 1/2" would really be much better compared to the 5/8". The plan is the router the edges and sand everything real good, then with the rounded edges wrapped in carpet I would exclude the pipe insulation protected edges.

Sounds like you have a good plan.....you are going to love your boat!!

eclipse3gen

Seaman

Fwiw.....I used 1/2" for my floor, 3 coats of exterior paint and liquid nails for the carpet and it's more than adequate. I'm a big guy... 6'1" 275lb and it has never have me any problems.

mrdrh,
how may quarts of Liquid Nails did you need for the mariner floor? would love to see your future mods!

Also have you ever thought of using the lifetime fold-in-half folding tables? I found those while i was at walmart last weekend. These fold in half and very easy to carry. They are 34x34 so should fit perfectly and quite sturdy as well. I picked up two of these just to try out. I will test them out on water as soon the weather gets better. else will just return them.

Lifetime Fold-In-Half Table, 34" x 34": Other Home : Walmart.com

80273-4.jpg80273-3.jpg80273-2.jpg80273-6.jpg

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

mrdrh,
how may quarts of Liquid Nails did you need for the mariner floor? would love to see your future mods!

Also have you ever thought of using the lifetime fold-in-half folding tables? I found those while i was at walmart last weekend. These fold in half and very easy to carry. They are 34x34 so should fit perfectly and quite sturdy as well. I picked up two of these just to try out. I will test them out on water as soon the weather gets better. else will just return them.

Lifetime Fold-In-Half Table, 34" x 34": Other Home : Walmart.com

View attachment 229429View attachment 229430View attachment 229431View attachment 229432

You have my attention ... Very interesting... Let us know how that works. Hell.... We sell s 6ft folding table at Lowe's and I'm sure the legs are removable for weight savings!

AKTrout

Cadet

If mznewsman and comfy68 still check in here, I'd be curious to hear if either of you ended up hinging your floor as you both had considered it. I'm about 3/4 through reading this whole thread; invaluable info here guys. So great to consider all these options and see which ones I'd like best for my boat. The two users I mentioned seem to have really sleek, clean, simple setups that I think would serve my needs. I haven't decided on a 3 or 2 piece floor yet. It seems many are happy with the stability of their floor without the pieces being attached, so I'm thinking I'll have them attached with just the marine carpet being continuous.. Which would hold them together but not for structure just for looks.
One thought: if I had two pedestal seats and decided to journey out with only the rear seat, would the empty holes in the floor for the front seat be fine or should there be a solution to cover/plug them?

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AK: My floor is 15/32" and in 3 pieces. The back 2 are 4' long and there is a nose cone piece that is about 1' long. They all have about 3 coats of good quality latex paint, no piping and no carpet. The edges are well sanded/rounded. I don't use hinges but do put usually put down a rubber mat over the divide between the 2 main floor boards, to minimize any gap/height difference between the two, depending on who is standing/leaning where. I do have a pedestal seat that is readily attached or removed from each main floor piece. When I venture out with only the back seat, there is little 'hole' space for the front seat, but the one for the keel is maybe 2" in dia. My only concern for that is when someone is in the front seat, that they open it unintentionally. This has not happened though in more than 30 trips.
Mariner 4 FloorBoards Done 2013-06-02.jpg

AKTrout

Cadet

the one for the keel is maybe 2" in dia. My only concern for that is when someone is in the front seat, that they open it unintentionally. This has not happened though in more than 30 trips.
View attachment 229458
Back on about page 20-22 there's a picture of a cool little port cover that comfy found to protect that keel valve, and its lid is easily removable to allow airing it up.

Like I said in my last post, I'm almost 3/4 through reading this whole thread, and I can't think of one floor that's hinged. People talked about it, but in the end I suppose you've all found it solid enough without hinges. Sounds good to me. I'll just glue the carpet continuous across the three pieces. UPS will be bringing my boat today. Time to start stensling!

eclipse3gen

Seaman

Back on about page 20-22 there's a picture of a cool little port cover that comfy found to protect that keel valve, and its lid is easily removable to allow airing it up.

Like I said in my last post, I'm almost 3/4 through reading this whole thread, and I can't think of one floor that's hinged. People talked about it, but in the end I suppose you've all found it solid enough without hinges. Sounds good to me. I'll just glue the carpet continuous across the three pieces. UPS will be bringing my boat today. Time to start stensling!

I think you are talking about this one. that was very slick and i also wondered where he got it from!

View attachment 206618

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you are talking about this one. that was very slick and i also wondered where he got it from!

View attachment 206618
Just out of curiosity...has anyone on this post ever had a keel valve flip open and deflate? I have to actively squeeze mine open to release air when I deflate the whole boat for pack up. I also have the hand pump with me, for when the cold water causes a slight pressure drop in the tubes..a quick refill...
because of the wood floor, I only fill it 1/2 before inserting the floor, and then pump it up once I am on the water. I have never heard the dreaded" PSSSHT" from the keel valve. Also..like a regular air mattress..the keel valve can be pushed down flush into itself.....Damn hard to get back out though... Anyone else have this experience?
With that having been said, I used a 2 1/4 inch hole saw to make the keel valve hole in the floor..pretty easy, but if the hole is reasonably round...couldn't a guy use a pvc pipe cap to insert into the hole to cover the keel valve?(like a 2 '' one which is less than the 2 1/4 inch hole) Not as pretty as above..but WTF

Last edited:

Gerald1755

Cadet

I considered hinging my 3 piece floor initially. After more thought I decided against it. My reason were 1. The overall weight of the pieces together and 2. The difficulty getting the floor in the boat as one section prior to inflating. I instead chose to use 3 pieces that are snug enough that the seams are tight and held pretty firm just from the tube inflation. Completely satisfied without hinges.

AKTrout

Cadet

Inflated the boat when it arrived yesterday. Noticed a fair amount of marks on the outer layer of material like it was folded and got a little too hot? Someone mentioned this early on in the thread, maybe it was mrdr. He posted a picture of it but I figured I would too since I had my tablet with me. Have you all found this common on your boats when it comes out of the package? All the chambers held air just fine, so I'm not concerned about it.
Also put the stock rollup floor in to check its size; seems like a good fit and i will just trace it onto my plywood.

Attachments

• M4.jpg
    M4.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Material defects 1.jpg
    Material defects 1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Material defects 2.jpg
    Material defects 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 28