Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Imdno

Recruit
New here trying to figure out how to post... And upload photos... Seems I only have an option to reply to posts?

Imdno

Recruit
Would like to post pics of my mariner and recent mods I've done since reading this thread... Unfortunately I seem unable topmost pics from my iPhone :(

Brusac

Seaman
Well it turns out I was not able to resolve my slow leak. Since I did not find any leaks using the good ole soapy water method and I saw some nicks in the valve seat I sanded the valve seat down with 400 grit sand paper until there was no signs of the nicks. The leak seems to have slowed down but it is not eliminated. I retested using my kids gallon bucket of bubble soap thinking maybe the dawn and water wasn't sensitive enough to the slow leak but still no sign of a leak. Going back to the assumption that the leak is in the valve I swapped the boston valve insert with another chamber and the leak stayed in chamber 2 where it started. I then applied some thick pasty thread sealant (a non-curing type I found at Menards) and still a slow leak. Now I am at a complete loss as I cannot even confirm where the leak is coming from. Any suggestions out there on how to find the leak?

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How fast is a slow leak? Could you just take your hand pump and top it off a couple times? I know plenty of people who do this

Brusac

Seaman
No Title

@ mrdrh99 - fortunatly the leak is slow enough that I can just top it off. If I inflate the boat in my garage and come back 3 hours later the tube is still inflated but no longer tight. I am convinced the leak is in the valve seat since I was able to slow it down considerably by sanding the seat down to remove nicks. In the picture below you can see the tube pressure is low but it is not saggy, this is after inflating the boat around 1:45 this afternoon and picture taken at 9:15. My biggest concern is the fact the the tube that is losing pressure will also be supporting the motor mount and trolling motor so it looks like I'll be doing regular top offs while out now. @ kenny, I like the sealant, I was considering a fix-a-flat type repair before I determined the leak to be in the valve, I could still be wrong but I think that is where it is at.

Attachments

• photo205133.jpg
    photo205133.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 12

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The skinny on fix a flat is that it works by centrifugal force, so with a standard quart application, you have to shift and rotate the goo around and around in the tube to make sure you hit the leak, however small. It then dries semi soft and supposedly doesn't allow for multiple inflate/ deflate scenarios...meaning...if the tube collapses in deflation, the stuff sticks to it self inside the tube.More than one quart may be needed for the size of the tubes.....
The Tube- Seal seems to be a different chemistry, and does allow for over and over inflation. Would be interested to know...I have a small inter tube leak, that requires a top off once or twice a trip when out on the water, I do know that when I inflate with the 12 v pump, I am going to see a pressure drop about 20 minute in in the water..( Hot high pressure air...cooler water temp etc etc). No big. the boston valve doesn't leak when the top cover is removed and top off is easy with the hand pump. I also see a drop in pressure as the day usually hot,moves into evening, and /or the wind shifts or starts up.....also due to the change in barometric pressure. Sooo.. I just expect to top off a few times in the course of a 10 hour fishing day.
I wonder, off the cuff, if the fix -a -flat, with its ability to remain soft, if a small layer of the fix a flat were applied around the threads of the boston valve when inflating,( air leak assumed coming from valve and/or threads)that at the end of the day you could wipe off the threads( it is a latex emulsion) and then re-apply next time you set the mariner up. Fix-a-flat is 7.95 /quart...if just used on the threads would last a long long time for very little money.

Last edited:

kenny25271

Cadet
Here is the situation I had with my 4 I had spots on mine where it look like the coating had chipped loose from the tube it didn't look like there was hole there and it took me for ever to find the place where it was leaking here is how I found my hole I over filled my tubes just a bit and I filled my 4 completely full off water and watched and sure enough there was a real small leak actually there was two on the same chamber as yours hope this helps.

sadarahu

Banned
One advice to not to damage your valve is just not to tighten it up very much. I use my M4 for a while and I can leave to boat for days and it keeps pressure very well. I tried to leave it pumped up with no valve caps on it and after about 6 hours it started loosing the air, so I consider it pretty god.
I just received my Honda BFD2 motor. My question is what kind of gas canister would you guys recommend ? It is only 2HP I think the gas tank is about 1Gal. I would like to take with me 2.5-3 Gal, but I wonder what type is the best. There are marine type which are of course more expensive, there are also metal ones which are heavier but probably more heat prof.

In my previous post I asked if somebody could PLEASE post the floor dimensions (for 3 pieces floor). I understand t should be a bit smaller than original floor but how much ? What are the lengts ? etc? I would rather not use carpet, but possibly insulation pipes if it is reliable solution. Weight is my concern so I plan 1/2" or 5/8"

I'm working on a ten-like cabin and I'm also almost done with my bow bag so soon will post some pictures.

Thanks - Art

Brusac

Seaman
@ sadarahu, I believe the nicks in the valve come from leaving it open when folding the boat for storage. Something I won't be doing anymore. I will either use my pump to completely deflate and close the valve or remove the boston valve insert completely and keep them in a ziplock until next use. As to the leak I still have it is slow enough now I would not be afraid to take it out but I would like to be able to resolve it completely. Tired of dealing with it now though so I think I will just put it away for a week and then try again before calling it good enough.

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
OMG!!! seriously, so I finally got my intex mount which I ordered directly from Intex and guess what I get in the mail? The old wood version?!?!? wtf.. I even asked several times when I spoke to the customer service person at intex and they said the mount was indeed plastic and not wood.

You would think that since I ordered direct from intex that the mount would be their current model and not the old wood version no??

don't know what to do now, my trip is this weekend..

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I feel your disappointment... However, don't let it ruin your trip. That mount has been used successfully for years. There isn't going to be a performance issue out of it. Take your trip then deal with the bs afterwords. You may decide it isn't even worth it

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Slayer
Three options..
1. Fish from the bank, as per normal..watch the kids play in your new pool toy
2. Row the mariner, all day long
3.Use a motor mount that has been used without issue for years, attach your MK 55, and fly with grace through the water in your beautiful Mariner 4 /Minn Kota engine combination with all your friends asking you.."That is so cool..where do I get one of those?"
Oh and the worst case scenario...
4.don't go on what sounds like a really fun fishing trip because Intex has the customer service skills worse than the IRS..."oh yes sir...your check is in the mail....heh heh heh!!!"
After the trip I do hope you will learn a few Mandarian curse words to share with the customer service agent,conveniently unskilled in American phrase-ology regarding the difference between plastic and wood, and remind them of their family tree, starting with their mother and her relationships.

A bad day of fishing is better than the best day of winning arguments with the ignorant.

Last edited:

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
hahaha.. you know its pretty frustrating speaking to the customer service people from intex. Given that I am a Canadian born Chinese individual, even I can't stand it when I can't communicate with them!

I spoke to someone and they said that the composite version is out of stock currently. And that if I wanted to return the item, I would have to pay the shipping cost back to them and that I would not be reimbursed for the initial shipping cost either! So it would cost me about $30 to ship it back to them, and I lose $25 for having them ship it to me... $55 for a $22 part lol..

I will just keep it, I think when I or a friend goes down to the US, I will pick up a composite mount for $25. I can easily sell the wooden one for more than what I paid for it up here.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent, I am going to take it out this weekend and for the big trip. I actually just got my mariner in the mail tonight as well, its pretty heavy compared to the seahawk II that I currently have.

I don't think I will have time to finish up the floor before the weekend, but I do have my seats and pedestals ready to go :)

I'll post some pics once I have it all done!

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
Speaking of the mount, any one in the US have a good idea where the best place is to pick one of these up? I have a friend who has a place in Palm Springs and he goes down there every month, I could always purchase and have it shipped there! Or if anyone is in the Seattle area, I have a friend going there in September and he can pick one up there if there's good place to go.

Thanks in advance!

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class
slayer
check out r u b b e r b o a t s dot COM, call them they speak Intex-ese

call Amazon( based in Seattle I think)
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-68624E-M.../dp/B00177BQF8
A M A Z O N also has other affiliates that they use.. the amaz on site for the mariner and/or composite motor mount will list these sub-contractors

Go catch some fish ..MAN!!!

Last edited:

Landohour

Cadet
No Title

Purchased a Brand new M4 from rubberboats dot com. A week or so later I tested the boat, it work well and as I was drying the boat and packing it away I noticed it had holes! I notified rubberboats dot com and they sent me a new one. Tested it only to find out the newer one had the same exact holes in the hull...

Attachments

• photo205646.jpg
    photo205646.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 22
  • photo205649.jpg
    photo205649.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 22
  • photo205651.jpg
    photo205651.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: