Interruptible Service power

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to know if i am crazy but I had a thought (brain fart) that in order to save some money I wondered if I could tap into my ac Interruptible Service power service to either run the wifes small pond (runs year round )or better yet run the kids pool during the summer(I only run it about 2 hrs a day).
so is this possible or am i crazy:eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Interruptible Service power

What in the world are you talking about, Bruce? What is an interruptible service? How does one "run" a pond or a kids' pool?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Interruptible electric service is just that. Interruptible at the power companies discretion.

If the demand for power becomes too great during peak service hours, the power company can cut service to that circuit(s). this allows them to keep the grid up, or keep their costs down.

Allows everyone to run their essential items, and forces you to not use the non essentials, or you can run them at off peak times. Things like clothes dryer, dishwasher, pool heater or filter, hot tubs, , air conditioning, etc, are good for this type of service.

Some utilities will set it up so that if you use non essentials during peak demand - you pay double the rate. But if you run it during off peak hours, you pay half the rate.

So if it costs $5 a day to run a given appliance, it will only cost you $2.50 under the plan. But they will nail you $7.50 a day if you turn it on during peak demand hours.

new boater apparently has an interruptible power circuit hooked up to his air conditioning.

It sounds like a good idea to me new boater, if the circuit can handle it.
May want to check the fine print on the agreement before you start messing with it.

JB

Thanks, Roscoe. Never heard of that but it sounds like a good idea.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

We have an "off peak" meter but it is on a scheduled on-off system.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No problem JB.

They have several different options around here in cow milking country. Helps them out when all the milking parlors start up at the same time (5 am).

JB

What are they gonna do in ten years when 50,000 people all plug in their cars at the same time??

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do it here and they catch you, bad things happen. We have one on the A/C and one on the water heater. On the A/C side, they can turn off the unit 15 minutes per hour if I remember right. The rate is quite abit less for A/C and Heat Pump all year long. Heat pump can not be cycled.

The water heater can be turned off anytime from 10 am to 10 pm and be off all day, if need. Electric rate is the same but they pay for the water heater and all maintenance.

I hardly notice the A/C but the water heater when the kids are in school is a pain every once and awhile.

As someone else said, you need to read the fine print on the agreement you probably signed.