Internet Connection?

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: Internet Connection?

Well xtraham, all I can suggest is for you to keep on them. They'll eventually find it. Hopefully you'll have some of your hair left when they do.
I had a similar problem with a second phone line to my house.
Had a bunch of noise on it. It took the 8th guy that came out to find the problem. Let me note that he was in his 50's and had been with the company for over 25 years. It took him all afternoon and when he came back to my house, he said he traced the pair back through 3 interconnect boxes and finally found the problem. Another house 3 miles away was tied onto my line (it was they're secondary pair which was not in use and was corroding underground), he disconnected them off my line and problem fixed.
Sorry to ramble on, but I hope you see what I'm saying.
Keep being the squeaky wheel and you will get some oil.;)

Good luck for a speedier resolution.
I tried that, then they started charging me for coming here because they said they didn't find anything:eek:

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres where im at this morning. Alot better than last night.

Last edited:

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Heres where im at this morning. Alot better than last night.

With cable, it shared media. While its a set speed, reality of it all is the more people in your area on cable, the more contention for bandwidth. However, with the infrastructure in place today, this is not usually noticed.

I take back what i said, perhaps it is still noticed on some carrier networks.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I tried that, then they started charging me for coming here because they said they didn't find anything:eek:

When they come out to your house, do they hook up their "upload/download" meter to your line at the point of entry into the house?
That reading right there will tell if it's them or you.
When they came out and hooked mine up, the guy came and got me to verify the readings to prove I was getting what I was paying for.

Pierutrus

And here's my results again.
Almost exactly the same as yesterday.

xtraham

Lieutenant

When they come out to your house, do they hook up their "upload/download" meter to your line at the point of entry into the house?
That reading right there will tell if it's them or you.
When they came out and hooked mine up, the guy came and got me to verify the readings to prove I was getting what I was paying for.
yes, but it's so sporadic that every time they come it's working, sometimes it will work for 2 hours, and sometimes 2 min's
I have taken the modem and a laptop outside and plugged it in straight to the box and it does the same thing, so it's not inside.
I started a log yesterday and I was disconnected 15 times from 1pm thru 11pm, it's been steady all day today so far, not 1 disconnect yet.

Pierutrus

I'm surprised they don't have some sort of data logger that they can hook to your line to record the drop outs. But then again, that would only verify the drop outs. What is needed I believe would be a TDR (time domain reflectometer), which is used to find breaks/shorts within a foot or so on the line.
But then again, they have to catch it when it happens/drops out so they can determine location of problem.
Which is probably to time consuming for them and they would rather just switch pairs and hope problem goes away.

dolluper

Captain

343961353.png

And a closer one first was around the world

http://www.speedtest.net
343964202.png

Last edited:

Fish~n~Chips

Seaman

I use Comcast and I really cant complain. This is the speed on my six year old very slow laptop. Will have to check it out later on the new computer.

~Jason