Intermittent no forward gear

rirerlifetim

Recruit
1996 sunbird with 5.0 Volvo penta sx Cobra outdrive shifts into neutral and reverse good it takes about 10 tries to get into forward seems to be worse after it's run a while . I took plastic cover off the back of lower unit and cable and linkage seems okay. I took shift cover off , shift shoe look okay , it has brass looking shifting mechanism doesn't look worn , oil is a little milky , could containmated oil be the problem ? I have no experience with Volvo penta

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you have water in the drive then it needs to be checked and fixed before you damage the bearings and need a total rebuild rather than just new seals.
As for the shifting there is a clutch mechanism that the water could be affecting. (I know the Volvo SX has clutches and I think the Cobra units have too)

rirerlifetim

Recruit
Thanks, I was thinking of trying to change the oil to see if will help ,we only have a few weeks of good weather and am trying to get by . I will fix the water in the oil issue after the season

rirerlifetim

Recruit
I am sorry for the unlike I am new to this forum, I thought I hit like, sorry , thanks for the advice

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Amazingly bearings don't like oil with water in it. Do an ebay search for "volvo penta sx outdrive" and see what your few weeks of good weather could cost.

rirerlifetim

Recruit
Your right I am going to change the oil and put in to see if that's what is wrong with the shifting. I will get it out and see where the water is getting in the lower unit. Are there any common problems that could cause water in the oil as I said before I am not familiar with Volvo penta I had several mercruiser outdrives and have done most of the repairs. Thanks for the help

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Prop shaft seals, shift mechanism seals, main drive shaft seals, input shaft seals caused by bellows leaking, and of course the oil fill plug and oil level "O" rings.
Pressure and vacuum test are needed to identify, unless it is obvious.