Intermittent engine clicking

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Intermittent engine clicking

Trying to locate the leak, I wiped the engine down best I could from the valve cover to the bottom of the oil pan, sides of the engine, and reaching back as far as I could towards the rear of the engine. After a day of fishing I put a piece of cardboard under the engine and notice the drip is definitely to the rear down low, behind the oil pan. Sorry, don't know what that part is called. Up top at the valve cover, it was still dry. I just realized the clicking or chattering started after I changed the oil. Coincidence? I used 30 weight oil per the nameplate on the engine.

chiefalen

Captain

Ok this has to be addressed.

Maybe others will chime in.

In my mind i think the oil pan, ether rusted thru, or oil pan seal.

Good news the seal and pan not to expensive and can still be had.

Bad news, you sitting down, motor got to be yanked out.

No getting around that.

To do it right.

Has to be done.

Just going to start loosing more and more oil. As the rusted hole gets bigger.

If it's not the pan than rear crankshaft seal.

Thats going to get worse also.

Question how mush oil are you loosing?

If it is the crankshaft seal that leaking, people might tell you to add all kinds of snake oil, to the oil guaranteed to stop the leak.

Don't do it, will mess up your motor than your really f--ked.

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran my fingers all around the oil pan to make sure it was not the seal...no oil, no rust, no hole. So I think it probably is the rear crank seal like you suggest. As far as amount of leakage, I can use the boat every weekend for a month and what collects on the floor below the engine can't be more than a tablespoon.

chiefalen

Captain

I thought about your problem all day while i was out with my wife and kids at wally world today.

I'm glad it's not the oil pan, maybe someone already changed out the oil pan.

With a mirror did you look at it with a flashlight all around the oil pan lip?

If it is only as you say just a tiny amount and it doesn't increase in volume, leave it alone.

G-d bless and enjoy.

ziggy

Admiral

maybe i'm missing something.

the torrsional dampner on a L6 don't have a pully bolt best i know. press fit. the circulation pump does though.

i don't see how an oil leak would cause a click. short of getting way to low on oil. of corse it'd be nice to locate and repair any leaks. seems your heading in the right direction to me. oil leaks never run uphill....

i could go for a alternator or circulating pump generating that sound (worn bushes)... a hearing hose would comfirm.

yer compression and vacum readings are better than mine.... though i have no variation...

i think ya need to use yer hearing hose to isolate the click if ya wanna find out what it is.... ya did check dwell and timing to eliminate pre ign. that would be a click ya don't wannna hear... since it goes away, it don't sound like that to me, but i'd sure wanna make sure.... i'm still leaning to the wrist pins....

warm it up till it don't click and run it. i do.....

MikDee

Banned

maybe i'm missing something.
the torrsional dampner on a L6 don't have a pully bolt best i know. press fit. the circulation pump does though.

And the crankshaft pulley for the fanbelt is not held on by bolts?
That's news to me :rolleyes: that's what I'm referring to as being loose, as I mentioned, creating a clicking, chattering noise, not the damper itself.

ziggy

Admiral

if it was pre 78 i'd say my guess would be yes. no torisional dampner bolt. both my 72 and 75 L6's have no bolt, plaine friction holding them on i guess. requires a special driver to drive it on to the proper depth and spaceing around the cover seal.... best i read...

in the 78 service manual, #3 (6A20), it refers to removing the torsional dampner by removeing it w/ a puller "(revmove retaining bolt if so equipped)" so i guess some had one, some didn't...... my best guess......

Last edited:

ziggy

Admiral

after a reread.....

the circulation pump has the pulley. three points crank (dampner), water pump(bolt on pully). alt......

agreed, loose circulation pump pully bolts might cause the click. or the bush itself. probably leak then too if it was the bush though....

Last edited: