Interior questions. Bayliner Capri

Criscone

Recruit
I have a 98' bayliner Capri Cuddy 1802. Force 120 outboard. I love the boat, it pulls strong and has no issues. Huge upgrade from the 86 capri we just sold. However with winter down time I want to change something's.

Interior:
-Possibly 2 more speakers, only has 2 now. Or just upgrade those existing ones? It has a JBL Marine head unit already.
-Cuddy door issues. I absolutely hate the doors. For starters when open it blocks a speaker, and other side makes the step going to deck tight. Regardless there gone! What options do i have? I was thinking a snap-on cover for the door that I could roll to the left. Like a tano cover on a truck concept. Or find nice trim to go around the door and leave it open? I like the open look, doors are never shut.
-new carpet on the ceiling/sides, what's best method?
-reupholster seats in the Cuddy - ill have a pro do them..
-remove the glue on seats where it use to say Capri. I've tried it all! Any ideas?
-also is there anything I can do to prolong the life of flooring? A sealant that goes over carpet? My last bayliner rotted out and was a nightmare to fix. I always have towels down where you walk just to help.

77181035-E608-44A7-B9FB-3CF75284E207-13977-00000CB8F8259A8A.jpg

ED4F40B0-DB04-47BF-B59F-716F5DE76F83-13977-00000CB9005BBB86.jpg

632C39ED-67FA-418E-A90B-AE43A502542D-8218-000007505BFA28C9.jpg

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Interior questions. Bayliner Capri

-Cuddy door issues. I absolutely hate the doors. For starters when open it blocks a speaker, and other side makes the step going to deck tight. Regardless there gone! What options do i have? I was thinking a snap-on cover for the door that I could roll to the left. Like a tano cover on a truck concept. Or find nice trim to go around the door and leave it open? I like the open look, doors are never shut.

A nice drop curtain made of matching vinyl with some strips of Velcro for fasteners should do the job.

-new carpet on the ceiling/sides, what's best method?

Carpet replacement in the cuddy will be a pain to replace. The ole' back takes a beating in cramped quarters of a cuddy. Just start removing the old with a scraper of some sort. You will have to experiment with scrapers that work best. I ended up using a stiff plastic scraper. Wear a dust mask and eye protection. Fibers from the cheapo crap carpet builders use is tough to breath and hard on the eyes. Save as much as you can for a pattern to make the new one.

I removed all the old stinky carpet, lightly sanded the inside and painted it white. Much better from a utilitarian view point. Cabin bulkheads were removed for other repairs.
DSC02629.JPG

-remove the glue on seats where it use to say Capri. I've tried it all! Any ideas?

Tried 'Goof Off'?

-also is there anything I can do to prolong the life of flooring? A sealant that goes over carpet? My last bayliner rotted out and was a nightmare to fix. I always have towels down where you walk just to help.

Are you talking the carpet or the deck? I would suspect water has already gotten into the wood deck. I would pull the carpet up where you can and inspect the deck. Maybe even drill a plug or two to make an initial inspection of the wood. Keep the plug and glue it back in with 3M 5200. If it has a ski locker use a mirror to inspect the underside of the wood in there. Bayliner, like so many builders, don't encapsulate the wood they use in construction very well. Expect the deck to rot at some point. If it is still in good shape, try to keep it as dry as possible.

Criscone

Recruit

I'll cut up the old top for a section and use that. Thanks.

I like the paint idea, easy clean up also. I'll look into that, then maybe just wrap that front piece to match seats when there redone.

Yes I've tried goof off. No go..

I don't suspect any rotten floor, just nervous really due to the 86 we had before this. Just didn't know if there was anything maintenance wise to help prolong the floors life. Cause I know I'll be replacing it in the future I'm sure, due to bayliners reputation. I looked in the middle hull area and it seemed to be solid. Some black grease like substance was in there, underside of floor. Not sure what that was..

F14CRAZY

Ensign

just put new carpet over the old adhesive. I didn't have any trouble with rubber backed new stuff sticking and its been up there 3 seasons. I used sprayable contact adhesive

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Keep it covered when not using it to keep the rain out of it and the floors should last a long time. also, don't come in dripping wet from swimming.

LK

Criscone

Recruit

I always have towels down for when you come out of water, and it's never seen rain since I've owned it. Boat factory cover goes on, then a tarp over that. Paranoid I guess.. thanks for all the suggestions. Cuddy wall carpet all torn out, doors are down. It was mint before just want to update it all. Factory carpet staying, just more gauges, better stereo and revamp the Cuddy