interesting mess at the launch

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class
went out yesterday for a few hours on one of the local lakes. usually busy on holiday weekends. yesterday looked slow when we got there.

went out did some fishing and relaxing. decide to pack it up because we had more plans for the night. went in to the launch early thinking it might be busy. was it busy!

pic shows it all. folks on the right side monkeying with their trailer/boat somehow got onto the curbing. at that area it's probably 1' high. basically sitting there thinking about how to get out of the situation. of course holding up that side of the launch. then they held up the transition area. i should have taken another pic of the boat angle on the trailer.

next up, guy with some speed boat which probably shouldn't have been on this lake. he was tied up at the launch with the boat fired up for about 10 minutes, maybe looking for attention from everyone watching the othe episode. well he got his attention from the local sheriff patrol. instead of getting out of the way to question and show papers, they do it right in the middle of the launch.

long story short. 2 fools holding up the launch for almost 25 minutes while traffic backs up.

3892972656_1848313b08_o.jpg

cdreed06

Seaman Apprentice
Re: interesting mess at the launch

Wow what a mess! We waited about 5-10 minutes while two boaters packed up all their fishing equipment on the launch at our local lake. Not too bad though.

sockos

Cadet

Saratoga Lake? Hundreds of boaters and two spots to launch .

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Saratoga Lake? Hundreds of boaters and two spots to launch .

ding, ding, ding.

we have a winner!!!!!

and i really didn't think it was all that bad out there. besides the occasional bass boat buzz by while fishing.

sockos

Cadet

I was there (Saratoga) several weeks ago on a Saturday. Traffic to launch was out around the loop, past the entrance shack, and out to the road. Unfortunately I was there to test out a work in progress. I was out an hour before I had to fight my way back off.
In a year or so I'm hoping to get into a small cruiser. Plans are to dock on the river somewhere between Albany and Clifton Park. I would like to leave it at Lake George but it"s way too much money.
Till then I'll fight the madness.

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class

out to the entrance???

i think i would have just kept going past the launch and forgot about going out that day.

I buy the empire pass and make sure i go to toga as much as i can. i won't pay for the lake george permit and launch fees. that would add up quick. sometimes i'll hit schroon or even brant in the off season. i've taken it out on the hudson a few times at exit 18. wanted to take a trip up the canal this summer to champlain but that didn't happen.

j_martin

Admiral

............ besides the occasional bass boat buzz by while fishing.

I launched my 150 horse bass bote yesterday at one of the local lakes. Motor was a little loaded up from burning off some oily gas (another story, VRO failure) so I took a quick WOT trip up and down the lake. I went by a canoe on the way out, and it was coming by the spot I came back to to fish, so I offered an apology for my wake. The reply was "what wake".

The tinny with the 25 horse and the whole fam damily is what makes the wakes.

my 02
John

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I launched my 150 horse bass bote yesterday at one of the local lakes. Motor was a little loaded up from burning off some oily gas (another story, VRO failure) so I took a quick WOT trip up and down the lake. I went by a canoe on the way out, and it was coming by the spot I came back to to fish, so I offered an apology for my wake. The reply was "what wake".

The tinny with the 25 horse and the whole fam damily is what makes the wakes.

my 02
John

don't get me wrong. other boaters do the same thing. usually i just chalk that up to them not knowing how it feels to be fishing a spot and get roughed up by the wake. but i put bass boats in a different category. they should know what it feels like and not fly by WOT within 50'.

i actually stooped to their level yesterday and watched the last one that flew by. watched where they went and i purposely buzzed them on my way back to the launch. i didn't get friendly looks or gestures. i know, my bad, i shouldn't have done it but when it happens a couple dozen times in the 3 hours you're out it gets irritating.

surely you must know what it feels like to get buzzed.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

EGAD does that look like fun!!! LOL NOT!

I am glad I don't have to deal with situations like that... the one ramp in Clearwater that gets like that, I avoid like the plague... I'll launch off the Dunedin causeway with my 4WD and no ramp... no line, no waiting, no fuss no muss... hehe

Around where I am now, the worst "line" I have ever seen was me being behind one guy... took all of 5 minutes.

I think if I had to deal with launching places like that everytime I used my boat, I would be out of boating very soon!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

thanks for supplying the photo. Now I can see what you all go through twice a day.

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the photo, looks like there's still plenty of room to launch right down the middle - get creative!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

And they wonder why I don't do holidays and weekends. :D:D

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

why do so many people flock to saratoga lake? It seems silly with bigger lakes so close (lake george, sacandaga)...

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class

From the photo, looks like there's still plenty of room to launch right down the middle - get creative!

i've seen some folks do that, but working your vehicle into that area can be tricky. if the SUV on the right was backed in properly it can make for a tight squeeze. usually i'll see a bass boat do it since most of the times there's the 2nd person in the boat that can drive off and on quickly. my wife won't drive the truck/trailer and doesn't feel comfortable driving the boat onto the trailer.

extremez

Petty Officer 3rd Class

why do so many people flock to saratoga lake? It seems silly with bigger lakes so close (lake george, sacandaga)...

i'm up by exit 17 so it's close to me. i also have the empire pass so i get on saratoga free and into some local parks. i don't really want to spend $$$ on the lake george permit plus pay to launch at the local launches. i could drive to ticonderoga and launch for free but might as well pay a launch after using the gas to get to Ti.

sacandaga, not sure where the public launch is there.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

On sacandaga there is a public launch in northville as long as you dont have a huge boat (its dirt and shallow) and there is a really nice public launch in Broadalbin, I think there is a another one in Edinburg but I've never used it. There is also one in the northhampton state campgrounds but it costs like 7 dollars to get in.

I like sacandaga and have never been to saratoga.

Good point about how expensive lake george can be.

divimon2000

Seaman

Popcorn and a chair is what I'd do on the holidays. Better than boating!