Interested in learning to sail

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to learn to sail and would like some suggestions on how to start.

Re: Interested in learning to sail

1. Find an ASA certified sailing school in your area.
2. See if you can get on as crew at a local marina for some weekend/evening races.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree with the above post and would add that simply picking up a decent book on sailing can be very helpful. Start with learning the basics of what makes a sailboat "work." Learning the terminology of sailing, including the different types of sails, parts of a sail, rigging, etc., will make learning in the boat that much easier. Also, if you don't know how to tie a bowline knot, learn because it is one of the most useful knots on a sailboat.

dwaldo

Cadet

I read 3 books and then went with a friend.I thought the lessons a little expensive in my area and now that been several times Ive invited seasoned sailors along and welcome their advice
dave

GaBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info and I found an ASA school nearby.

TC,

K

ib656

Seaman Apprentice

depending on where you live, there are many "park and rec" and community boating programs that are free or very low cost.

good luck and good sailing!

flashback

Captain

You could also hang out at the docks before a race and many times hitch a ride especially if the wind is up and the racers need some rail meat...then once you see whats going on, you may eventually be asked to crew on a regular basis. I had good luck on lanier years ago...and ended up enjoying the racing...