Interested in a 1976 sea ray; opinions wanted

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Interested in a 1976 sea ray; opinions wanted

it is how I ended up with the Searay. I had an old Glastron with a Renault motor no power trim ect. I bid on and won the Searay intending to take the motor outdrive ect out of it. Turns out the Searay was much too good to take apart. Great boat.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok I love Ford and Chevy and dislike the french with the best of them and Renault helped kill a local company (American Motors) but I have seen videos of Renault V10 indy car engines on the youtube and I must say the song a 3 litre Renault V10 sings at 18,000 rpm's is pure music. Of course totally different than a big cam 502 Big Block Chevy but I can appreciate both for the fine mechanical beasts they are.

I think Renault and Fiat have come a long way since they last hawked their wares in America, just like Ford and GM have come a long way since the early 80's, too late now tho I guess.

Rolla91

Cadet

Wow this forum has way more activity than I'm used to LOL I was busy yesterday and return today for 22 replies!

Thank you all for the help. I'm going to set up a time to go look at it because the person who owns it now probably hasn't owned it that long, and honestly I don't think he knows anything about boats.

Like I tried to explain, from his explanation it sounds like the power lift on the drive isn't working, which shouldn't be that hard to repair I wouldn't think.

when I get a free minute to go I want to see how solid it is, I'm not above repairs, but I would like to be able to use it once or twice at least.

I have done fiberglass stuff before, not on boats, but 'glassing is 'glassing I'm sure.

I'm going to continue to look around though. Might find a better deal somewhere else. I have a little more in my budget, closer to 2500 right now but I thought with his price, if I was able to get him down some also it would leave enough for repairs.

Could anyone estimate the amount of fuel this boat or one similar would burn per hour?

I've only owned outboards, other than the inboard I got screwed on, and I'm sure they burn less fuel so I have no real way of estimating.

Ishboo25

Seaman Apprentice

Ish: you painted the trailer ? It looks nice, did you paint the trailer with the boat on, I am undecided if I should spray or brush/roll my nice but rusty roller trailer. Will be using rust-oleum. Nice looking Ray too looks to be in great shape, love the color almost the same yellow as my Mustang. Is the finish original ? It looks immaculate.

yea thats the original finish.... the boats in great shape..... i painted the trailer with a brush and some rustoleum.... what i did was paint as much as i could with the boat on the trailer, then the next time i took the boat out on the water, i painted the parts i couldnt reach with a spray can and let it sit in the sun while we went boating..... so far its held up great, even if i have to do it every 2 or 3 years, for the price of a quart of rustoleum its definetly worth it :)