Installing plywood fuel tank supports in my Grady, should I use 5200 or epoxy?

proftomda

Cadet
Title basically says it all. I am installing 8 plywood pads on floor of fuel tank compartment to rest my new fuel tank on. This method is what the tech department at GW recommended. I will cover the pads in 1/8" silicone rubber sheet. My question is should I glue the pads onto the tank compartment floor with 5200 or use thickened epoxy? I'm sure either one will work fine, just looking for insights.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing plywood fuel tank supports in my Grady, should I use 5200 or epoxy?

I would say pl premium would do just fine for that.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Installing plywood fuel tank supports in my Grady, should I use 5200 or epoxy?

I would go with epoxy just for a better bond. I'm sure with al the weight of the fuel tanks on them they would stay in place fine with 5200. PL Premium constructon adhesive would be a good alternative also.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

You beat me to it mxcobra :D

proftomda

Cadet

Thanks so much. I have 5200, pl premium and the thickened epoxy. Which adhesive would you use to glue the silicone rubber pads to the bottom of the tank? 5200? Tank will be coated with POR 15 or coal tar epoxy.

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would use starboard instead of plywood....... never rots

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why couldn't you use 3m spray adhesive for this? It's much less exspensive than 5200.