Installing Pedestals

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Two very nice pedestals and seats came with my boat, the PO bought them but never installed them, they are similar to the one in the picture

After looking at my deck (where I want to install them is a Large fuel tank) and don't think I want to bolt them to the deck.

What I would like to do is cut a piece of 3/4 Marine plywood to fit my aft section,carpet it and mount the pedestals to that

Technically the plywood would be floating, using it's weight alone to hold it down

Attachments

• IMG_3532.JPG
    IMG_3532.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • completepedestal_1.jpg
    completepedestal_1.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing Pedestals

nope....sorry bud.....unless you are using a 4x8 sheet....you will end up on your keister or worse....overboard ! (really)

the seats must be screwed down...you can put your plywood down then screw the seat to ti and the ply to the deck with out going thru...then glass it....but it should be screwed to the deck or serious injury could result.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing Pedestals

I went on a guided striper fishing tour a couple months ago and the seats in that guy's boat weren't bolted down, but the bases were bolted or welded to some pretty heavy gauge metal. Those were suprisingly sturdy, but as I said, they were very heavy and it was a 28' heavy gauge aluminum boat. I don't know what kind of boat you have, but unless it's a pretty big one with a metal deck, I bet you would be better off just screwing them down. I was planning on cutting a piece of ply that fits the bases, pre-drilling the holes, putting in some t-nuts on the bottom side of the ply, then epoxy the ply to the deck, then bolt the bases into the t-nuts. No holes in the deck.
5aeYMikfBZmoB5RExkp3CumPAljXzkFrerjccaWLZOBZdlqYUtiMNB_12O1kInc2fID_dZyBXADGNhxXAhObtwnhSvJNIqFp-pYwgO1hqFO_sCKL6XGvbHGfRYP_TrLInezVOH2FCX884ijUpaz7LWIRIzcKmHWqPXgLuJmSmDxkk54

T-Nut