Installing new solenoid

flagday84

Recruit
Hi All,
I'm installing a new solenoid and not sure how to tell which post is which. See attached picture for the same type of solenoid I just bought, both sides are identical both for the bigger and smaller connections. Does it matter which of the smaller bolts gets hooked up to ignition and which goes to ground? And for the big bolts does it matter which one goes to battery and which goes to starter? Thanks for your help.
-Aaron 18-5835_big.jpg

tommarvin

Ensign
Thank you Aaron,i have wondered the same thing for awhile too
I don't know what I'm talking about, the best I can figure out is, it's just a big switch, battery in on one big bolt, starter out on the other big bolt
Yellow ignition wire on small bolt on the engine side, ground goes to a ground, think it's by the starter bracket.
If the new solenoid is the same shape, put it in the same way? I don't know for sure..
You can test a solenoid very easy with a multi meter, You-tube has a perfect video how.
What makes you think it's the solenoid ? If you don't mind me asking.

Tnstratofam

Commander
A solenoid like that is a simple relay. Power is aplied from the ignition or a switch to the two small terminals, ( Usually a battery + or positive to one with a battery - or ground to the other ). This allows the solenoid to close a contact that lets battery power flow from one side ( large terminal ) to the other side ( other large terminal ) allowing power to reach the starter or whatever the solenoid is wired to. Usually they are marked, but if not so long as you swap them one wire at a time from solenoid to solenoid you won't mess them up.

In other words little back to little. Big back to big. Doesn't matter if you cross one little for the other little or one big for the other big. It will still switch like it should.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

Here's a basic wiring diagram just double check the wire color coding as it differs between years and models,

Attachments

• photo241410.jpg
    photo241410.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0

flagday84

Recruit
Thanks for your replies everyone however I might not have made the question clear. I understand what a solenoid is and what is does. I know that the small wires go to small bolts and big ones to big. I'm just not sure if it matters which small wires connect to which small bolts an likewise with big ones. I read that some solenoids have an "i" and a "g" next to the small ones to designate but mine doesn't. I saw a youtube vid that says the small ones don't matter but said nothing about the big ones. I'm gonna assume is doesn't matter because its just a current passing through metal. Will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know if I fry anything.

tommarvin

Ensign
If you don't have any letters, or a wiring diagram with the solenoid your good.
Did you test the old solenoid?
Why do you think the solenoid is bad ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The solenoid will only work one way.
​The small wires have to be hooked up one way to work right.