Installing Alpha one drive issue

Fun Times

Staff member
While I'm on this subject, the new greaseless bearing still had the dot on it but no hole for the grease to go into it.

I assume the bearing is non directional (back and front are the same) and really does not matter where you mount it in regards to the dot if you do not need the grease hole to line up anymore. Meaning, the dot could go on the inside or outside and at any position. I just put it in with the dot facing out and at 12 o'clock. Is that okay or is that going to cause me another issue?
While I'm sure you're going to be ok with the bearing installed at 12 o'clock, Mercruiser still recommended installing the new perma‑lube bearing at 10 o'clock with their latest service bulletin No. 2009-13.
Perma‑Lube Gimbal Bearings IMPORTANT: When installing the gimbal bearing, the identifying dot on the gimbal bearing should be positioned at 10 o'clock as viewed from the stern. NOTE: Transom assemblies with perma‑lube gimbal bearings do not require a grease retention seal in front of the gimbal bearing. However, when installing a new perma‑lube bearing, it is not necessary to remove the seal from transoms that have the seal installed. NOTE: Refer to the appropriate MerCruiser service manual for gimbal bearing replacement instructions
http://www.ravnsgarage.no/content/mma/publish/01/109/10908/Smorefritt hekklager.pdf