Installing a trolling motor

rlamp4040

Cadet
My wife wants to get a trolling motor for our boat. Can anyone direct me how to find out if this is possible. I have a 24 ft open bow reneill 240 BR. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Insatlling a trolling motor

The first question I have is what does she feel you need the troller for? If it is for emergency propulsion that that is the last thing you need -- especially if you boat on big water. Trollers don't have unlimited range. If she wants to fish, then that's a different story. For a 24 footer you will need a 24 volt motor (65 pounds of thrust or more) and that requires two large deep cycle batteries wired in series. So now you need to find room for those two batteries. If your boat has a rail around the bow you now are faced with mounting issues as the rail may be in the way for a bow mount motor. For fishing, a bow mount provides the best boat control. For emergency propulsion either a bow or stern mount would work. You need to visit a boat dealer and see for yourself how a bow mount motor is installed. That will give you an idea whether or not your boat will accommodate one.

cyclops2

Banned

A real trolling motor for that size is a STERN mounted setup. Off plane it is in the water. On plane it is out of the water.

I would seriously try EVERY 10 to 15 hp 4 stroke on a dealers boat to pick the most quiet one. See if she likes any. A four stroke has almost no exhaust & you fill the tank with regular inboard gas.

She afraid of a no start of the I/O ? or just a quiet cruise ? You can get VERY expensive + 100 pounds of trolling thrust. batteries go way up front or into the front of the floor locker. Need BIG batteries for that boat.
Carefull layout & Epoxied hold down straps. Cables should be as big as GOOD car jumper cables.
Doable.

rlamp4040

Cadet

Thanks guys- It would be for fishing mostly but also in case of emergency. We already have 2 deep cycle batteries installed.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

what kind of fishing are you doing from a 24' bow rider?

do you really want to troll, or just manuever or hold quietly?

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have just fitted a Minn Kota to a 20' bowrider for trolling for trout,it will run at max 4kph we troll at 2kph(gps speedo) 2x 90amp deep cycle last 4hours I have a 12/24 volt inverter charge system,the
quietness is great,the motor sits on top of the cav plate,when you get up on the plane it's clear of the water steers
with the normal steering

cyclops2

Banned

Check with ...ANY...company first, on how to mount on your big I / O drive without butchering up either part. That may put you back to a seperate swiveling thruster with a adjustable connecting rod setup. Just like a small "" kicker "" OB setup.

Think several ways. Pick the best. Ask each company THEIR BEST ways. No charge.

Rich

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If you want quiet, look into the electric motors that attach to your trim tabs. You generally don't dangle a conventional electric motor off the bow of a boat that big.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I put a Motorguide on the back of my extended swim platform. I have two deep cycle batteries just for house, and one cranking battery for start only. I use the TM to get around while fishing off the back. Not much performance, but it works! I can also sit at the helm and control with wireless control. In case my engine didn't start I'm confident the TM would get me to shore. I store in the ski locker when not in use.

29MAY2011%252520005.jpg

29MAY2011%252520011.jpg

29MAY2011%252520014.jpg

You can see the house deep cycle bank on the left of the engine. Cranking battery is on the right.

cleanin-up%252520015.jpg