Installing 4.3L w/ OMC cobra outdrive

Hello all,

Just got the engine rebuilt on my 89 VIP with a 4.3L and an OMC Cobra outdrive. Every place I have looked most say you must use an alignment tool to line the coupler up to the outdrive. However, I did not move the bolts on the engine mounts that connect to the block, so do I ABSOLUTELY need to use the alignment tool, or can I just stab the engine to the outdrive? Also, I have done a lot of work to this 89 VIP, new floor, carpet, engine, rebuilt carb, ect. I have not done any work to the outdrive (I do plan on having the fluid changed), but have not changed the gimbal bearing, or the impeller. While I have gone this far, is there anything else I should do? If anyone has any advise on my engine alignment, or the other services I should do to the boat, I would appreciate it tremendously!

Thanks

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing 4.3L w/ OMC cobra outdrive

You need the tool, and you need to service the outdrive, sounds like you have spent alot of money on the boat no need to stop now:D

180shabah

Rear Admiral

There is no substitute for the alignment bar - search ebay, - OR just borrow one.

Also, since you have everything apart, replace the bellows, gimble bearing, and impeller. Make sure the shift cable is adjusted properly, and not stretched. Either one of these will cause accelerated wear, and you'll be replacing that drive soon.

Thank you both for your replies, I really appreciate it. How difficult is the gimbal bearing and impeller to replace? Also, I had done a lot of reading on the shift cable, and learned what you said, that it causes a lot of outdrive problems. Mine seems easy to engage and control, no force needed that I would call excessive...would it be pretty obvious if I had a problem with the shift cable, ie very difficult to engage? Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!!!

Gary,

Thanks a lot for the link to the manual on ebay, just ordered it, should make all of my maintenance and repairs much easier!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No problem!
You will love the original manual. It steps you through everything with pictures included.Its the BIBLE of OMC..Lol!!!

Did you get the one from SeaRay man?

Don't forget to read the shift adjustment procedure and do all the measurements.Lube the bell crank in the drive very well...it shows it in the book.

The manual i bought for my 87 cobra was near 100 bucks but it was well worth it.They are getting very hard to find.

As far as aligning the engine, I thought that it had to be done by going thru the gimble bearing housing; then I was told that I had to remove the outdrive. Has anyone done this, and what is the best way? Thanks for your help all, I really appreciate it!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The drive needs to be pulled.2 people can handle it.
6 bolts and unhook the trim rams on the lower part of the drive.
Give it a good yank and off it comes.
Perfect time to grease the u-joints and inspect the gimbal bearing and bellows.
Its all in the manual!;)

What seller did you buy it from on Ebay?

Thanks alot Gary, sounds like the manual can't get here soon enough! By the way, looks like I got it from guco collectibles and stuff, was only $15 to get it here, I think it will be well worth it. Thanks for the info on aligning the engine, sounds like a pretty easy job, is it? Also, should i drain the outdrive before I pull it off? One last question, if the gimble feels bad, is the installation tool a must?

Thanks again for all of your help, its been very helpful!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Its not a bad job but you do need the alignment tool to get the motor just right.
I would pop the bearing out,clean it really good and inspect it.
If it looks good fresh grease and put it back in.
You can get a complete transom service kit that includes both bellows,the gasket,the shift cable bellows and the gimbal bearing for around 100 bucks.
I have a new bearing i never used for a Cobra laying around my shop some where if you need it just PM me.

If it were me and i just got the boat or didn't know how long since new bellows and all i would use the kit.
That way you know its good to go for a few years.

Here is the complete kit.
http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/MAL9-...e+Kit,+Transom+Seal+Kit,++OMC+Cobra+1986-1993

Gary,

I really can't thank you enough for the information, it will make this job so much easier, and its great knowing that just about everything on this boat is "taken care of". So, do I need to drain the lower unit before I remove it, or can I leave it full of the grease? I'll take a good look at the bellows, I'm not sure what to expect on this boat; from everything I have seen it looks like it has been abused once, refurbished half-assed (good mechanical work, crappy install of a floor/carpet/interior). It appears that the gimbal housing has been removed before, as there is a bead of silicone around, so I am interested in what I will find has been done.

Thanks again Gary, let me know what you think about draining the unit.

Jason

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

No problem.
The lower unit oil is fine to leave in when you pull the drive.
It will need to be changed as part of your service.
The manual tells you correct steps of how to refill the gear lube.
A Cobra 4.3 drive holds 64 ounces of gear oil.
You will need a pump that screws to the bottle of lube and screws to the drain hole on the drive.
About 5 bucks at Walmart.
The manual says to use OMC HiVis gear lube but CRC makes a direct replacement or you can use Mobile 1 GL-5 gear lube.
Follow the instructions in the book to avoid getting air pockets in the drive when you refill it.

The bead of silicone around the housing is a sign someone was trying to fix a leak..Should not be any need for silicone there at all..
Best of luck with it...post some pictures if you can.

Where are you located?

This is the kind of pump,Look at walmart or any auto parts store,
http://www.dockpartner.com/storefro...d.aspx?sfid=70761&i=10046643&mpid=3368&dfid=1

Great info, thanks Gary! Is the CRC lube just a GL-5 gear oil, or what should I look for, or what do you recommend? So, no silicone needed on that housing, huh, wonder what I will find? This boat has been interesting, I think it either sat outside a lot before it was rescued the first time around, or one side of it took on a lot of water; lots of rotten wood was replaced and my foam, and the original floor, was very moist; that layer of silicone could explain a lot. I am located in Missouri, southwest near Springfield. I will get some pics posted soon; have one side of the boat buffed out, cleaned up very nice, I will start the other side tonight or as soon as I can get out of the office, and once it looks good, I'll get some pics posted.

Also, to get the air out, I have read that when filling from the middle hole, fill to line on your dipstick, and then trim up and down several times to help remove the air. Is there a way you have found works well to get the air out? And, do I fill just to the line on my dipstick?

Thanks again!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Never heard of the trimming up and down...
That has nothing to do with the gear oil.
Drain it and leave the dipstick just resting in the hole.
Fill it very slow from the bottom hole until it comes out of the center hole.
Quickly put the plug in the bottom and continue filling from the center hole until it shows full on the dipstick.Screw the dipstick in then put the center drain plug in.
Run it on the water then recheck the level on the dipstick.
Some people fill the whole thing from the center hole so i'm sure some will disagree with this post.Either way it should hold 2 bottles of lube,64 ounces.
Be sure to get new plastic washers for the drain plugs! and one for the dipstick! Rubber o-rings are a big no-no!
Any Johnson-Evinrude dealer has the plastic washers.The one for the dipstick is a larger size.If you can't find one let me know.I think i have an extra one i can drop in the mail for you.

Too bad you were not closer i would give you a hand.
I kind of miss working on my Cobra..lol!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Gary,

Thanks for the tips on the plastic washers; I probably would have used O-rings had you not mentioned that.

Well, last night I finally got the engine lit up; sounds great and really purs! My next step is to do everything you have been coaching me on; assuming my alignment tool and manual arrive UPS today, I am going to pull the sterndrive over the weekend, assuming I get a hand from one of my buddies.

I did want to ask one thing, I was running it on muffs, and I found some areas already that need attention. Water was coming out of the bottom of the impeller housing, I assume its cracked. However, I also had water coming from out of the bottom of the where the sterndrive connects to the transom, maybe that piece would be considered the gimbal housing?? It was right out of the center, and I'm not sure if that is normal, is it?

Thanks for all your help Gary, I am going to get some parts ordered, and I wish you were closer too, I would enjoy the experienced help!

Jason

One more thing,

As far as the shift cable are concerned, is there a rule of thumb to tell if they are too stiff? Does it normally need to be replaced, or adjusted? Without the maual here, could you tell me what i should be looking for when I get the sterndrive off as far as the cables go? I mean, it feels good to me, but I do think it is stiffer going forward opposed to going in reverse.

Thanks!