Installation of Alpha One Outdrive Questions about clicking

No show

Seaman
86 celebrity 210 cutty just rebuilt the engine and I am installing the out drive. It took a little bit of finessing to get it on. Shifter was in forward all the way to get it on I lifted the gimble mounting plate and shimmed it with a wooden wire brush to lift it higher for me to make it easier to install. It went on and I had to tighten the nuts on the top to make it flush but didn't force anything. I am unsure about the installation because it said while installing it, it would make it easier if you turned the propeller a little bit, but when I did it just spins like its in neutral with a clicking sound. Is that normal? Shouldn't it lock up? Haven't started the boat but I pushed it in forward, nuetral, and reverse. I would assume at one point the propeller would lock up. I am thinking I might have to remove and reinstall. What is your input on this? Regardless of installation right or wrong can I still use the hose and the earmuffs to run and tune engine? Also when I post how can you put a picture of your boat next to your name like I've seen some others do? This boat project has been a big challenge for me and learning experience with much help from all of you fellow memebers. Thank you for all time and responses. I believe I am very close to getting it in the water.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Installation of Alpha One Outdrive Questions about clicking

look under the drive where the shift shaft coupler is. there's a male shoe and a female shoe. these shoes should be coupled together. the coupler should face fwd. when in fwd gear. the prop should lock ccw in fwd. freewheel in neutral and lock cw in reverse. personally, i wouldn't start it until i found out why it's clicking. that clicking or ratcheting sound is normal when the prop is turned the wrong way for whatever gear your in. ie. in fwd. the prop lock ccw, but ratchets when turned cw. visa versa for rev. if it's doing something other than that, it could be the shift dog in the lower not fully engageing the fwd. or rev. gears. like when ya slow shift into fwd. or rev. ya get that ratcheting sound that ya don't wanna hear, yer supposed to make a quick shift so it don't do that. that sound is the shift dog not fully engaging the gears. that would be bad i'd think. might wear something out if it's not fully engaged.
did ya have it in fwd. when ya reattached the shift cable to the shift plate? and have your 6'' span between barrels... this year, i know i made the mistake of not having the drive and helm in fwd. when i reattached my cable. that sure made it act. funny. but i can't remember what it did. just knew it wasn't right prior to going any further...

No show

Seaman

look under the drive where the shift shaft coupler is. there's a male shoe and a female shoe. these shoes should be coupled together. the coupler should face fwd. when in fwd gear. the prop should lock ccw in fwd. freewheel in neutral and lock cw in reverse. personally, i wouldn't start it until i found out why it's clicking. that clicking or ratcheting sound is normal when the prop is turned the wrong way for whatever gear your in. ie. in fwd. the prop lock ccw, but ratchets when turned cw. visa versa for rev. if it's doing something other than that, it could be the shift dog in the lower not fully engageing the fwd. or rev. gears. like when ya slow shift into fwd. or rev. ya get that ratcheting sound that ya don't wanna hear, yer supposed to make a quick shift so it don't do that. that sound is the shift dog not fully engaging the gears. that would be bad i'd think. might wear something out if it's not fully engaged.
did ya have it in fwd. when ya reattached the shift cable to the shift plate? and have your 6'' span between barrels... this year, i know i made the mistake of not having the drive and helm in fwd. when i reattached my cable. that sure made it act. funny. but i can't remember what it did. just knew it wasn't right prior to going any further...

Its very early 4:00 am before work not too sure what that means but I will remove tonight and reinstall. I need to find out how it should look before reinstallation

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

It will ratchet in one and lock up in the other if it is engaged in motor other wise input shaft will turn shifter should be in forward.

No show

Seaman

Last night I reinstalled outdrive, shift coupler was not aligned and I had to split lower unit to align shaft upon reinstalling now I get nuetral and reverse but no foward. I will remove drive again tonight shift cable must be set in wrong It wont travel to foward I will check it out again tonight . I think it must be something stupid. my back is killing me. LOL

ziggy

Admiral

while the drive is separated. test the lower to be sure it shifts, f,n,r. when your putting the lower back onto the upper, be sure that the shift shaft on the upper is facing fwd and the lower is in fwd. to help keep the lower in fwd. put it in fwd and put a bungee on the prop and load the prop ccw so it stays locked in fwd. when your putting the drive back on the boat. but sure the remote at the helm is in fwd along with the drive.
basicly. when assembling. lower to upper, or drive to bellhousing, have everything in fwd, including the remote at the helm. after you have the drive on the boat. you can manually test the drive again if you disconnect the shift cable from the shift plate inside the boat. operate the shift cable with you fingers. it should operate nice and smooth with little resistance. check to see again if ya got f,n,r. if so, ya should be good to go..

edit, if ya don't wanna kill your back putting the lower back onto the upper with the drive on the boat. take the drive (upper) off and set both lower and upper on the bench. you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to assemble the lower to the upper on the bench. it won't kill your back and ya can do it by yourself in moments.... after reassembly, pressure test to be sure ya got everything sealed proper before adding your gear lub...
don't forget the quad ring (seal between the upper and lower) and the flat washer that sits on top of the lower shift shaft.

Last edited:

No show

Seaman

All fixed Shift shaft was not in foward. Ahhhhhh !!!
We Will test in water tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch