Install Fuel Water Separator or Not??

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all,

Well, I replaced my lemon with a 2012 Tracker 165 Pro with a 2012 Mercury 40HP EFI Four Stroke. I was thinking it would be a good idea to pull the fuel/water separator off my old rig and install it in the new one. But, I am not familiar at all with the new engine. My gut tells me it can't hurt so long as I get a new filter for it when I install it. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it beneficial or even necessary with the new engine? Any thoughts are appreciated.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Install Fuel Water Separator or Not??

I certainly would. Especially if you are running fuel with ethanol in it.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's definately what I was thinking. But I thought I'd run it by you guys first. Thanks!

himmelrr

Cadet

It may already have one installed so do a thorough check of the fuel lines. They can be well hidden sometimes.

Believe it or not, many Mercury mechs do not recommend an additional filter. Supposedly the official word from Mercury is that there is enough filtration already and adding another filter can cause fuel (and lube if it is a 2 stroke) starvation. That being said, a local Mercury Authorized Dealer happily recommended and installed one on my 04 115 ELPTO. I replace the filter every year and it has been 2 years without an issue.

RH

REDDFISH

Cadet

Agreed witk all ptrvios post .
In my opinion you can't have to much filteration considering the fuel we are have to purchase these days .
Fuel/water seperation filter is a bonus