Install a kicker bracket for a 4.5hp Merc on Swim Platform (Bayliner 175)

handwedge

Recruit
Hi folks -
Wondering if anyone has installed a kicker bracket on the swim platform of a fiberglass boat such as a Bayliner 175. Mine is a 2005. Not great for a kicker, but I want to add my 4.5hp Mercury 2-stroke for trolling. Was hoping to find a removable bracket that I can remove when the kicker isn't needed.

While we're here - if anyone can recommend a good removable downrigger kit for my boat's setup, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks! Always appreciate the help.

Attachments

• bayliner-175-bowrider-23824030200966686766704867574567x.jpeg
    bayliner-175-bowrider-23824030200966686766704867574567x.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN5951_large.jpeg
    DSCN5951_large.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 10

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

for the removable down riggers, you will need to add some rod holder.

for the removable bracket, you will have to fabricate something.

I would use a dedicated fishing boat myself, however have fished out of both the Avanti and the SeaRay. in stead of a kicker, just dropped a low pitch prop on the drive and used the main motor.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Bee there done that on both counts.

My current SeaRay has a Panther fixed mount bracket right on top of the swim platform. Once in position I drilled 6 holes right thru the bottom of the platform. Six 5/16" SS threaded rods cut to length, bolted in with big washers and sealed with 5200. The job looks like it was factory, but unfortunately its not removable.

My previous Stingray had 18" long grab rails mounted aft on the side decks. I bought an 8' long piece of 1"x12" solid mahogany and fitted it to the rails with QD clamps. Two Downriggers were mounted on the board and rod holders in the middle. That WAS detachable and it worked like a charm. (sorry, not the best pic)

P6090868web.jpgP8260017web.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant
Transom seats, motor box, swim platform, carpeting. Wy spend so much effort to covert a non-fishing boat into horrible fishing boat. Why not just buy a fishing boat? I'm not talking a bass boat. A center console or walkaround could easily double duty pulling tubes and booze cruising.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I don’t really think a kicker is going to work on your boat. The “swim platform” on your boat sit pretty high. Too high for a kicker to work. You’ll need to fabricate a bracket that puts the motor closer to the water. Then steering is going to be a problem. You can’t tiller steer it due to the position it will be in. Attaching it to the I/O outdrive so you can use the steering wheel to steer will also be problematic or near impossible.
I just don’t think the kicker will work for you on that boat.
I suggest a bow mounted electric for trolling. They are way better for trolling and they are silent.
I have both a kicker and an electric trolling motor on my boat. I never use the kicker any more. The electric is far superior to the gas kicker for trolling. I just use the kicker as a backup in case my main motor fails. If you get one be sure to get one with I-Pilot or auto pilot etc. You just set the course and forget it.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I am in on this one. I have Sea Ray 180 with a very similar swim platform and would like to get a removable kicker mount also.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It all depends on what you consider "trolling". If you are long lining with heavy rods and plugs, or if you are downrigging for deep water fish, a gas kicker is the only way to go. If you are moving around structure casting for bass an electric bow mount is needed.

The Garelick bracket I referenced in post 3 is adjustable up and down and can fit a short or long shaft kicker, even on that transom. It is steered by the main outboard - no problem.

Although not visible in the other picture, the 9.9 kicker is steered from the I/O. A little "hard" to fasten on an old flat transom, but with the swim platform connecting the 2 drives is easy peasy. I trolled with that boat for 35 years.

Everything is possible. Sometimes it takes a little ingenuity and some home crapsmanship. I agree, a dedicated fishing boat is optimum, and that's what I do now. But finances and storage space often makes a compromise necessary.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
One other thing. A 4.5 hp on your boat is too small. It will run your boat 2 to 3 mph but only in perfect calm water. Most any breeze or wind will blow off course and blow you all over. Depending on wind velocity the kicker may not be able to correct your course. You’ll have the use the main motor to get you back on course. I speak from experience on this topic.
An electric with autopilot has the power and will automatically correct and keep you on course.
Also I use my electric for all my trolling whether it be for downrigger salmon trolling at 120’ down and 150’ set back to top lining with 250’ set back. I haven’t used it in the ocean but have used it in the California Delta which is affected by tide, current and wind. Close to 100% of the freshwater guides here use only electrics for trolling.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
One other thing. A 4.5 hp on your boat is too small. It will run your boat 2 to 3 mph but only in perfect calm water. Most any breeze or wind will blow off course and blow you all over. Depending on wind velocity the kicker may not be able to correct your course. You’ll have the use the main motor to get you back on course. I speak from experience on this topic.
An electric with autopilot has the power and will automatically correct and keep you on course.
Also I use my electric for all my trolling whether it be for downrigger salmon trolling at 120’ down and 150’ set back to top lining with 250’ set back. I haven’t used it in the ocean but have used it in the California Delta which is affected by tide, current and wind. Close to 100% of the freshwater guides here use only electrics for trolling.
I have heard good things about the new versions of electrics, as you state. Just never tried one personally.

We fish lake Ontario for Salmon, out of Wilson or Olcott, NY. Lots of commercial guys here that guide for a living. I've never seen an electric in use. I imagine its a regional thing and it hasn't caught on here yet.

I ran a 9.9 2-stroke on my old Stingray and it would be my choice for a dedicated fishing boat. However, my current 19' SeaRay (~3,000 pounds), sports a 4-stroke 5 HP Merc. It will do 6 mph at cruise throttle. I don't do any trolling fishing with the boat - the kicker is strictly an emergency motor. Nevertheless, at my usual trolling speed of 1.8 mph, I think the 5 would do nicely.