Insight on oil

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to use synthetic oil this year but would like some insight on which would be the best.<br />Pennzoil 100% synthetic or Quicksilver synthetic blend, and why would you use it. Thanks Bob jr.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Insight on oil

Are you in the habit of poking sticks in hornet nests, Bob? :)

LubeDude

Admiral

If you are doing it because you want the absolute best you can get for your outboard and you are running the H*ll out of your boat @ 6,000 RPM +, WOT nearly everywhere you go, Use Klotz TC-W3, (Not the racing), or as I do Amsoil HP! But either of the ones you mention will do you a great job in average applications. JMHO ;)

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am basically trying to cut down if not eliminate carbon build up and get a decent performance out of it. I do not go wot at all. Thanks, Bob jr.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I use both in my little pee popper 90 Merc which turns a cool 6250 at 49 mph on a tin lizzie 17' basser. This last tank of gas, I drained out the old, and put in new with 1% Sea Foam and actually lost 100 rpm's. Outside temp and boat load were identical. So much for Sea Foam.<br /><br />Mark

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Bob - my "opinion" is only based on my personal experience take it for what it's worth.<br /><br />Just try a tank or two of each and decide if you can tell the difference in performance, or more likely, smoke. Then chose which one seems better. If you can't tell the difference, pick the cheaper one. Because I "believe" (again, opinion only) that there will not be a significant difference in carbon build up - not one that you would ever notice in the lifetime of your engine.<br /><br />I have an old V6 carb'd 2 stroke. I've tried a bunch of good quality 2 stroke oils (quicksilver, OMC-type, castrol, pennzoil, texaco) and a gallon of Pennzoil full synthetic. I'm serious - I could not tell the difference in any way between any of them, including the full synthetic. But I run the big engine at high RPM - wide open most of the time... maybe there would be more of a difference if I ran at idle. Others have different experience. I haven't tried the cheapest oils, but might this summer, although I have a stockpile of quicksilver and castrol to get through first becasue I bought a bunch on sale last fall.<br /><br />Just try it yourself- A tank of A, B, C, etc.. You're not risking anything because using any certified oil for a tank or two is not going to hurt your engine at all, even if it's cheap certified oil. You can compare a few oils and decide if it makes a difference - brand, or synthetic vs. dino. It might and then would be worth it. I really believe that all certified oils - at least the not-cheapest brands - do not have much diff. between them in carbon. There may be smoking or idling differnces, you have to decide for yourself on that one.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

LubeDude! You mentioned KLOTZ!<br /><br />Mr. BobJr, I don't believe you ever mentioned what kind of outboard you are going to use this oil in. That kind of information helps a bit. I am one of those that believes if your outboard is a new DFI high horsepower outboard, use a high quality synthetic (such as Amsoil or Klotz). If it is an older design, usually any TCW-III will likely work. <br /><br />I have had good luck in my Nissan TLDI with Pennzoil Full Synthetic and Klotz. I love the smell of the Klotz and it burns extremely clean. I now run the Klotz. <br /><br />There are 100 opinions on oil here and 100 reasons to use what you will finally decide to use.

BillP

Captain

It's simple. Either one probably has the same certification and meets or exceeds the motor mfgs specification. Take your pick on label color or price but a better comparison would be the Pennsoil blend against the QuickSilver blend. <br /><br />Just for the hexx of it I've been switching back and forth between tanks with the Penn blend and Wallyworld brand SuperTech ob oil. Penn smokes maybe a tad less but you have to really look for it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Z-Man MT:<br /> LubeDude! You mentioned KLOTZ!<br /><br />I love the smell of the Klotz and it burns extremely clean. I now run the Klotz. <br /><br />
:D :D :D This just might be the best way to chose your oil! :D :D :D

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

DSC02076.jpg
<br />Used to use KLOTZ in my r/c aircraft. Haven't heard that name in a while.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Klotz is red? I had some red oil in my two cycle Polaris ATV when I bought it used last year. I thought someone put in transmission fluid by mistake! It looked and smelled differently anyway...more like tranny fluid than 2 cycle mixing oil. I drained my oil tank and have kept it in a bottle. What does it smell like this KLOTZ oil? I can't imagine someone having put expensive synthetic in this old ATV (a 1992), but who knows?

LubeDude

Admiral

There are two Klotz oils, (At least), racing and TC-W3, You want the TC-W3 one.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Bob, set up of the motor has as much or more to do with carbon build up as what oil. Assuming you're going to use an oil with any TCW rating or better.