Input on a 18' Monark CC with a bad motor, looking to buy!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked at a 1986 Monark fiberglass 18' center console today. It has a 70 hp Johnson that doesn't run, not sure of the motor year but gonna say an early 80's model. I am not at all familiar with a Monark (first one I've seen) I believe it is made in Arkansas. The asking price is $2200.00 and I'm looking to make a offer of maybe $1800.00 on Saturday. This is not my dream boat but I am looking for a decent bay boat at a decent price. The boat is solid with a solid deck and very clean. The one thing I dislike is it is not self bailing. Thanks for any input you can offer!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Input on a 18' Monark CC with a bad motor, looking to buy!

C'mon man hook me up here, somebody must have some input :) Went back to see the boat and check it out a bit further on Saturday. He told me the motor is an 84 and did run last year but was losing power on him. He replaceed the head gasket and I dont know what else he may have done. Just want to know if you think this is reasonable for $1800.00 my offer was accepted and I am now waiting for him to locate the title. Why is it that everyone I deal with that is selling a boat can't find the title? <br /> Thanks.

D

DJ

Re: Input on a 18' Monark CC with a bad motor, looking to buy!

Mako,<br /><br />I can't see it but it doesn't sound too bad. Bummer about the no self bail though.<br /><br />YOu're right, Monarks are built in the Ozarks. There are plenty of them around in those parts. Never heard anything bad about them.<br /><br />The engine could be something very simple or a basket case. Check everything out when you get it home and try some fresh gas. It may be OK.<br /><br />I don't think you can be too wrong for $1,800.00.