Info on Sportcraft boats please...

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the market for a new (to me) boat, upgrading from my Wellcraft V20. I am almost exclusively partial to getting a Grady in the 25-27' range, however I will look at others if it looks like a really good deal. I came across a 2002 26' Sportcraft WA with a single 2 stroke Merc 250 HP EFI and the price was very good, especially considering the gear it is rigged with. I'm trying to track down some info on the company and can only seem to find that they did go out of business in the mid 2000's after this boat was made,and then were manufactured by a new company that bought them out. Rumor is they are out of business again. I'm trying to find out what their hull specs are and any info on how they ride/handle a chop, as well as the quality of their craftsmanship overall. I intend on using whatever boat I decide on to head anywhere from 30-100 miles offshore to the bay. I appreciate any input.

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Info on Sportcraft boats please...

http://s1marine.com/New/home.asp

you may be right that they are out of business though...the contact link on the web site doesn't seem to be working and there is a ticker announcing info on their "new" 2008 line-up.

May be able to find some spec data though.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good luck i have been trying to find info on a sportcraft as well

i even emailed them awhile ago and have not recieved a EDIT thing from them

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Happy Days Boating in Port Clinton OH lists a couple of 2010s on their website. Perhaps they have some into.
http://www.happydaysboating.com/new...2010J7I34I35JPMQ3977R0&veh=140893&pov=1379085

Wow, that's interesting and nothing at all like the one I'm looking at. The 302 is SIIIIICK!!!

This damn boat has me intrigued. It's a 2002 with low hours, an EFI Merc 250 2 stroke, outriggers, radar, GPS, Depthfinder, VHF, fridge, stove, 2 livewells, head, hardtop with rocket launchers, for $21k. Grady's this new and as loaded are running $40k-$70k in my area. That's why I'm so intrigued, but I don't want a vessel that's gonna be loaded with spider cracks and busted fittings, etc...........

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

If it's any help at all, I just bought a 1984 Sportcraft walkaround. The original owner (I bought it from the 2nd who had it for a year until he list his job) used it regularly to go out 60 miles here in the Gulf. I haven't found any unusual wear or deterioration on the boat. It's been my understanding that SC was a well built boat, but came across hard times like many other boat manufacturers. For a 26 year old boat that saw many long distance runs, I'm delighted with the overall appearance of quality. I'm not that crazy about my powerplant, but that's a non-issue for you. If you were planning on spending $40k, but can get a sweet boat for half that, then you have an extra $19k for anything that comes up.

I've only had it for a few weeks (but I've been on it everyday since I put it in the water), but I can say it handles chop very well. I haven't hit a bad day on the water, but based on my limited experiences with it, I expect it to be great.

At a great price like that, if you find you don't like it, I doubt you'd have any trouble getting your money back out of it if you sell it in a year based on your comparisons.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's any help at all, I just bought a 1984 Sportcraft walkaround. The original owner (I bought it from the 2nd who had it for a year until he list his job) used it regularly to go out 60 miles here in the Gulf. I haven't found any unusual wear or deterioration on the boat. It's been my understanding that SC was a well built boat, but came across hard times like many other boat manufacturers. For a 26 year old boat that saw many long distance runs, I'm delighted with the overall appearance of quality. I'm not that crazy about my powerplant, but that's a non-issue for you. If you were planning on spending $40k, but can get a sweet boat for half that, then you have an extra $19k for anything that comes up.

I've only had it for a few weeks (but I've been on it everyday since I put it in the water), but I can say it handles chop very well. I haven't hit a bad day on the water, but based on my limited experiences with it, I expect it to be great.

At a great price like that, if you find you don't like it, I doubt you'd have any trouble getting your money back out of it if you sell it in a year based on your comparisons.

Precisely what I was looking for! Beefer, thanks for sharing your experience!