Indexing the distributor correctly?

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My AQ131A is sitting on an engine stand and I'm ready to re-install the distributor and setup BASE timing. However the engine has been turned over since the distributor has been removed and I have no reference marks to work with.

I do however, know approximately where the rotor should be pointing when cylinder #1 is TDC on the compression stroke so here's what I think I should be doing to get the distributor back in the right spot:

1. Get cylinder #1 to TDC on the compression stroke and confirm both valves are closed.
2. Make sure camshaft, crankshaft and intermediate shaft timing marks are lined up.
3. Install the distributor with the rotor pointing roughly towards the number one cylinder and also towards the #1 firing stud on the distributor cap.

Is that about right? Even as I describe this I feel like I'm missing something.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Indexing the distributor correctly?

Sounds okay to me

Bondo

Staff member

My AQ131A is sitting on an engine stand and I'm ready to re-install the distributor and setup BASE timing. However the engine has been turned over since the distributor has been removed and I have no reference marks to work with.

I do however, know approximately where the rotor should be pointing when cylinder #1 is TDC on the compression stroke so here's what I think I should be doing to get the distributor back in the right spot:

1. Get cylinder #1 to TDC on the compression stroke and confirm both valves are closed.
2. Make sure camshaft, crankshaft and intermediate shaft timing marks are lined up.
3. Install the distributor with the rotor pointing roughly towards the number one cylinder and also towards the #1 firing stud on the distributor cap.

Is that about right? Even as I describe this I feel like I'm missing something.

Ayuh,.... At the Point in which you describe above,...
You can point the rotor at Any terminal on the cap,...
So long as the wires are "in order", she'll run Just Fine,...

Walt T

Lieutenant

I've seen guys trying to install the entire distributor on the #1 tower on the cap they had carefully marked and getting all frustrated having to do it several times until its "perfect" Boy I have fun messing with those guys.

"You sure that was the #1 plug wire tower?"
"yeah I marked it"
"which cylinder is number one?"
"The front left"
"You sure?" (Give him a doubtful look)
"uuuhhh.... Aw crap, I did the wrong one didn't I?"
"Well just to be sure you should do the finger over the sparkplug hole check, feel the compression coming up and then see the timing mark come around, make sure it's on number one cylinder"
"huh?"
"my work here is done"

film842

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I'll now go see if I can make it work