inboard to outboard conversion

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well i am doing some thinking about converting my 21' glastron from an inboard to an outboard and have a few questions before i decide.

for 1 would it be better to just cut the transom down and reinforce it to hold a outboard motor or should i install a setback plate?
if i just cut down the transom i would just cut it enough for the main motor and give it enough room to turn and then make another kicker bracket out of aluminum.
im only looking to throw up to about 100hp on it

another thing is my transom seems to be very thin on this boat only about 1/4 inch if even of fiberglass so i would have to reinforce the transom with plywood on the inside

here is a pic of the outside transom of the boat if that helps any
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/518/sl371926.jpg

drewpster

Commander
Re: inboard to outboard conversion

Seems to me you could go either way. I would go with a set back bracket and avoid all the glass work. Either way you are looking at filling that big hole. So there is some work there.
Why do you want to go outboard, inboard giving headaches?

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah i figured it would be alot easier to go with an ob setup that way if i have a big problem i have the option of just slappin another motor on

drewpster

Commander

Well I guess the first question I would ask is, are you up to the task? Doing a conversion like the one you suggest is going to take allot of work. It can be done, don?t get me wrong. But you are likely going to find work beyond what you initially expect. What you suggest doing is not a weekend project, it is a major one. It is going to be involved, whether you use a setback bracket system or modify the transom and build a splash well. If you are looking to get in the water soon I would stick with what you have. If you have a few months, the time, and the resources, you can build whatever you like. The knowledge is certainly here to do it. Personally, I would stick with the original design of the boat and work with what is already there. Inboard boats are a proven design. They just have their own set of challenges.

jonesg

Admiral

I would install a new transom, but its complicated by that door.
I'd put a bracket on the new transom built to take the load.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello lordblitzalot..

You might get away with just putting some more ply lams and glass on the inside without re-doing your transom. and then just screw/glue/glass the bell housing hole with a tight fitted scab.

However I would agree that work involved would get extensive ( More then you might think ) and in the end might just be a "learning" experience. ;)

YD.

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok thank you guys so much for the help
it is still a tossup
if i dont convert it i am gonna sell it and go for an outboard setup

thanks again i appreciate it

redfury

Commander

I like the idea of an outboard bracket like the one Jserb has on his boat as the best option. Granted, the boat will be longer than it is now, so if storage length is an issue, you'll have to consider that. But, scabbing in the outdrive hole can't be that hard of a thing to do.

Someone posted a link in another thread about a guy that builds custom outboard brackets....really slick and totally professional. I'd go that way if I were to convert.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I think if you're just looking to go boating...sell it and buy something with an outboard already. Now if you're looking for a project, this sounds like a good one to me!

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think if you're just looking to go boating...sell it and buy something with an outboard already. Now if you're looking for a project, this sounds like a good one to me!

+1 :D

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

went the easy route and sold the boat and bought a boat setup for outboards.
it is a start a little later down the road i will get something bigger and have the outboards from this to throw on it.

thanks for all the replies though i appreciate it, im pretty happy i just didnt start tearing into it and then find out that it was way more work then i wanted to do (i want to be on the water now not later)
plus i dont really have the workspace for a project at the moment i am having to park my boat at a friends house as it is because the property management here doesnt allow boats

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

yeah june is no time to start a boat project if you want to be in the water that summer.

Willyclay

Captain

A guy a few miles up the road from me has done that exact conversion and it looks really good from the car. I'll try to get you some pictures and a contact the next time I am out that way. Good luck with your project!

christopher77

Recruit

i still dont see a boat with a inboard, that is a inboard/outboard (i/o), and a rather good volvo outdrive to boot, why would you want to replace it with a outboard? i know you already sold the boat,