In the planning phase!

Cox

Seaman
I am just about finishing up a rebuild of my trailer, a 1986 Tracker. I've been very pleased with the results and I can't wait to start on my boat, also a 1986 Tracker, Guide V16.
IMAG0082.jpg

While I'm sure I'm going to have numerous questions throughout this project, I wanted to start with a couple of questions about the exterior. My plan is to paint the exterior dark grey using the roll and tip method as I've read a ton about it within the forums here. My first question, in regards to prep, is in relation to the existing decals on the boat. Do I need to completely remove them? If so, what's the best way to do so? Wire wheel?

In some of the reading I've done, I am under the assumption that the less paint I actually remove, the better off I am in terms of not having to use an etching primer. I'm afraid that if I use a wire wheel or sand paper to remove the decals it's going to add another step to this process. Maybe that's just inevitable, don't know. It would seem that painting over the existing decals would compromise the integrity of the job.

Any insight would be appreciated. FYI....I will be starting this project in the spring time....unfortunately a ways off so maybe this post is premature but I want to research and plan as much as possible so that when the time comes the job goes as smoothly as possible. Thanks!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: In the planning phase!

I wouldn't touch that boat, looks perfectly fine. Is it?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes, the decals need to go away or they will show. You can use a hair dryer, soften them and /or visit napa and get a pin stripe removal wheel (time consuming).

The plan.... remove the stripes... dewax..... sand/scuff up old paint..... use a rattle can of zinc chromate on any aluminum you expose..... and then roll and tip.

If it is a trailered boat and you want to save money you can use rustoleum paint.

Cox

Seaman

I wouldn't touch that boat, looks perfectly fine. Is it?

The decking needs to be replaced in many spots, which is the only reason I've allowed it to sit outside uncovered for the past couple of months in between trips to the lake.

Since I'm going to have to replace the decking anyway, I wanted to change-up the color scheme and get away from the Beige/Brown/Orange. Unfortunately it will add some additional work since it will mean I have to paint both the interior and exterior but I have a vision of how it's going to turn out and I'm excited to see what I can do with it.

This is my first boat and although it's on the older side and I will likely upgrade to something larger/more powerful as my kids get older, this one will stay with me regardless to be kept at a private lake that has size restrictions. I figured if I'm going to have this thing for another 15-20 years (god-willing) I might as well make it "mine" and pour some pride into it.