In limbo

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well time is coming near that I will need to get a vehicle. Last year after storing my boat (starcraft 2005 deck boat) I got rid of my truck ( 2010 Ford F150) to buy my wife a new car. She got a new job and to sum it up she needed something with good gas mileage.

As of this time my Main vehicle is an Acura MDX. And I know there is absolutely no way that an MDX can pull that boat. Boat is rated at 3600lbs so with trailer I would guess about 4600lbs. Not absolutely sure about this but I know it is heavy since my truck had a hard time going up hills on the highway with it. On flat straight road it had zero issues. I just notice it loosing power when going up.

I am looking for cheaper vehicle since I really don't need a truck. Pretty much to pull the boat (6-10 times a year). I also noticed trailblazers. It is rated for *500lbs towing. Is that too close? Dodge Durangos have a 7000lb capacity. Would that be better? Or should I just stick to 1/2ton trucks?

wrench 3

Commander
Re: In limbo

I'm towing a 26' with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a heavy duty towing package. A heaver towing package will give you a rougher ride and probably lower fuel mileage. So heavy duty is better for towing, but lighter is better for dual purpose.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm kinda partial to 4Runners myself. We have an 03' V8 that's rated for 7k maybe 7.5k. The newer models have the 4.0 that's a little better on gas but would pull your boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I tow my light 18' with either a 1990 Chevy K1500 or a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L. Both pull it fine (the hemi is amazing) but with the Jeep you definitely know it's back there. With the truck it's like it's not even there (aside from going up hills). The Jeep is AWD and this gets absolutely horrendous gas mileage always.

agallant80

Commander

I don;t know what your definition of cheaper is. Does it mean 5K used of under 30K new? The new Jeep Cherokee is rated at 7K the MPG is pretty good too.

agallant80

Commander

Also I don't know what your situation is but a few years back I had two cars. A BMW that was good on gas and a 95 Tahoe for pulling and HD runs. I liked having two cars. Now I just have one Silverado and no BMW after the x-wife blew the motor in it. Yup in a 6 year old BMW5......

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sound like the Jeep would be a good fit. Now I just have to find one.

don't really want to buy anything close to being new. I guess the cheaper the better. But not Junk.

The wife and I have fairly new cars. Well hers is brand spanking new. Thus, the search for a new boat hauler.

Thanks guys!