impossible??...

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought my first boat. It is a 5.7 alpha one set up. when I bought it it had been sitting for 3 years untouched, the block was cracked. I just got done putting in a new longblock and redid the water pump and all bellows and gimbal bearing. When I looked at the boat the outdrive was stuck in the up position. The PO told me when he parked it he left the outdrive down and it went up on its own. (there was no battery in the boat) I just assumed he left it up and forgot. After I bought it I was able to get it going again by forcing it down while the wife pushed the button. I asked the dealer if it was possible for it to build pressure on its own while sitting and he said it was impossible. boat has since sat for 3 weeks and has in fact started raising on its own..!! how is this happening?

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: impossible??...

by forcing it down i would guess you compressed the oil some and its just evening its self out also may have air trapped that could do it some too.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would guess air, too. Oil doesn't compress, nor does any liquid.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

no but you can build the pressure in the flexible hose resembling compression is what i ment

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

If the sun shines on a black cylinder, and there is internal leakage, it will raise a little bit.
There's a larger volume of oil in the base end than the rod end. If you heat them with the sun, the base end expands more.
There has to be internal leakage for the rod end oil to not hold the cylinder though.