Impellor Housing Cover

neptune1961

Cadet
Hi There

I have a 65esl72s Johnson 65hp outboard and am busy servicing the L/U. The Impellor housing cover is broken and I have bought a second hand one, however one of the insert sections is blocked off where the water inlet pipe comes into the housing. This is also the sectionon my cover that is broken - The guy told me I may have to drill this out.

Does anyone know where I can get a diagram/picture of a cover - I have almost looked on every forum without any luck

Any help is appreciated

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Impellor Housing Cover

I think the deal there is, your motor has only one water tube, right? Previous years had two water tubes and two holes in the pump cover. Since yours only has one tube, the second hole is blanked off. That appears to be the way it should be.

neptune1961

Cadet

Many thanks for the prompt response and info

My motor does indeed have only the one water pipe, however my impellor housing has the extended water tube and Grommet that goes down towards the water intake. I think this suggests the housing is from an earlier model (1971?) motor as the BRP parts catalogue does not show this tube on my 65esl72s parts catalogue.

My dilemma remains whether to drill out a hole above the extended water tube that will not have any further water pipe going into it or leave it sealed off. The old cover was broken above this extended water tube but am not sure why - Whilst I had started this engine and it certainly started and ran well I have never been out with it and wanted to replace the impellor and oil prior to doing so.

IMG_0142.jpgIMG_0141.jpgIMG_0143.jpgIMG_0140.jpg

You can see the grommets in the pics and the old cover with the one section above the extended water tube missing

Am I better off using the cover as is or drilling a hole?

Look forward to any responses

Regards

murray

cr2k

Captain

You do have the stainless liner for the pump right?

neptune1961

Cadet

Yea I have the stainless insert - it can be seen from the housing that this motor got very very hot at some stage

neptune1961

Cadet

Any ideas on drilling or not drilling out the Housing cover - These are becoming more and more scarce, hence the reluctance to drill unless absolutely sure

Re: Impellor replacement for johnson 10-2-228-1

Re: Impellor replacement for johnson 10-2-228-1

wow seems to be hard thing to locate impellors

Last edited:

neptune1961

Cadet

The Impeller is not difficult to locate as they are reguarly changed, however the other parts around that are becoming more and more difficult to locate.

Now I am not sure that my Impellor housing is the correct one for my engine as it has the two water pipe extension receivers.

Any ideas on using the Impeller housing on my 65esl72s Outboard?

Any experience with this would be gratefully appreciated

Regards