impeller too big?????

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well got a new driveshaft upper unit. Perfect match and seals and all look great. Well after having the drive off and all so many times. I think I'll replace the main gasket set just to be safe. Before assembling to lower unit. I decided to pull the impeller and peek. Impeller looks like its turned backward. Looking at the impeller in the housing fins was pointed to the right. I believe its supposed to be to the right. Am I wrong? Also was terribly hard to get out. As the impeller is a full 3/8 bigger then the housing. Can anyone tell me housing diam and impeller diam. Impeller i have is 2 3/8 housing is 2" Seems awful tight. I am thinking I should change the impeller too as bending it back may shorten life span of impeller. Got a new impeller and gasket set arriving in two days intent to be spares. Might just change it again. As the white guide tube seems to be melted on top. And i changed it with impeller. But have attempted to find the problem a lot lately. Figure I did that.

boater364

Cadet
How old is the impeller? Regardless I would change it. It's cheap and maintenance item... So if you got the drive off and one in the mail... Do itttt.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Well got a new driveshaft upper unit. Perfect match and seals and all look great. Well after having the drive off and all so many times. I think I'll replace the main gasket set just to be safe. Before assembling to lower unit. I decided to pull the impeller and peek. Impeller looks like its turned backward. Looking at the impeller in the housing fins was pointed to the right. I believe its supposed to be to the right. Am I wrong? Also was terribly hard to get out. As the impeller is a full 3/8 bigger then the housing. Can anyone tell me housing diam and impeller diam. Impeller i have is 2 3/8 housing is 2" Seems awful tight. I am thinking I should change the impeller too as bending it back may shorten life span of impeller. Got a new impeller and gasket set arriving in two days intent to be spares. Might just change it again. As the white guide tube seems to be melted on top. And i changed it with impeller. But have attempted to find the problem a lot lately. Figure I did that.

And the drive is a .... with serial number ....

Without knowing those things we can't tell you anything, but I can say that the impeller in the fully 'open' position should be quite a bit larger than the housing. That's how rubber impeller pumps work.

Chris.......

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The impellers are crowded into the housin', that's normal,....

Put yer new kit in, sounds like that one has hardened with age,...

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok replacement here and is the same size. Did find a problem. I believe the key fell when installing last one and impeller wasnt turning. impeller is correct. Will be installing in next day or so.