Impeller spun?!?!?!?

fritzL

Seaman
I appears as if the transducer is mounted to the port rear of the engine. Ill shine the laser on that in the next few days.
From what I described, does it appears as if the water circulation pump is operating properly?
F

kenny nunez

Captain
With the boat in the water start the engine, then remove the incoming water hose from the thermostat housing. Try to stop the water flow with your hand. If it stops easily then the problem is in the drive, one of the grommets that seal the water pipe are leaking. Also if the pressure is more than you can hold back, then as posted above either the sender or the gauge.
To check for a combustion leak add a short piece of clear hose just before the incoming water connects to the thermostat housing. If there is a combustion leak you will see the water disappear in the hose, the combustion back pressure will overcome the impeller output.

flashback

Captain
I appears as if the transducer is mounted to the port rear of the engine. Ill shine the laser on that in the next few days.
From what I described, does it appears as if the water circulation pump is operating properly?
F
Ok I'm not too familiar with your setup I'd best bow out.. good luck

fritzL

Seaman
I have her idleing now and the thermometer is not going over 180...

Bad news, on a lark i checked the outdrive lubricant... bone dry and flakes of metal on the wall. I filled it 2 months ago. there was residue on the joint qhere the lower half mates to the upper. What do i do now?
How hard is it to rebuild this?

nnl1987

Seaman Apprentice
You will need to split the upper and lower gear cases when it's off the transom mount. To figure out if something is cracked or a seal is gone. It's not terribly difficult to rebuild the lower part but I never touched the upper gearcase.

You will need a couple specialized tools. I would first start by getting a manual and going through that to determine if it's something you are willing to tackle on your own. It will tell you what kind of tools and how to do it.

As a side note I never removed the roller bearing assembly race(#0387817) on the vertical part. Runs around the driveshaft assembly (#0911693). That way I never had to deal with shiming and measuring. Again I never touched the upper gearcase. Someday maybe.

A few others will best direct you in the manual to get. Some of the manuals are best left as paper weights. Brand of manual?

fritzL

Seaman
The bearing which the vertical shaft rides, in the gear oil reservoir has been trashed by the lack gear oil.
I managed to find a upper/lower outdrive unit. Unit was sitting outside for 12 years, as per the seller. I opened it before purchasing and the oil still looked greenish and did not smell like mine.
Mine not only smelled but was very shiny. I am in the process of removing the the yoke from mine, as the donor outdrives drive shaft became one with the engines coupling. Both engine are circa 1987 2.3l.
I have maybe a month left tonget this bote in the water before i put her in thw heated shed.
I will update here.
Thank you all who have commented and given suggestions
Fritz

fritzL

Seaman
I had to go look closer....
Clean of the shaft/yoke in the parts cleaner...

Is this usable, or "wallered out"?
I dont recall hitting anything other than the crunches of the bearing...

Attachments

• 20231005_195510.jpg
    20231005_195510.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I had to go look closer....
Clean of the shaft/yoke in the parts cleaner...

Is this usable, or "wallered out"?
I dont recall hitting anything other than the crunches of the bearing...
its twisted. as in its now wall art.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't know anything about these outdrives, but in your picture on the outdrive on muffs there is water coming out of a hole just forward of the muffs. Is this normal? The hole has the paint gone, like its dented?

nnl1987

Seaman Apprentice
I don't know anything about these outdrives, but in your picture on the outdrive on muffs there is water coming out of a hole just forward of the muffs. Is this normal? The hole has the paint gone, like its dented?
Normal