Impeller Service - Tools/Tricks From The Experts

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
Last spring I rebuilt my first water pump. It went well, and I had a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I just saved myself a bunch of money by not taking the boat to the dealer. This weekend I plan to replace the impeller again, but before doing so I want to revisit a challenge I had last year. I found the most difficult part of the process to be reconnecting the shift rod. It seemed easy enough to disconnect, but the reconnection was challenging because I could not get my fingers under the powerhead. Eventually I got the shift rod connected, but it took a while and it was a little frustrating. So my question is this: Are there special tools or tricks that the experts use to quickly reconnect the shift rod? Any creative suggestion is welcome.

FYI - My motor is a 1978 Johnson 140 hp.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Impeller Service - Tools/Tricks From The Experts

The impeller will last at least two seasons, if you haven't been sucking up sand. Somebody will probably pipe in here and say they have run theirs 10 years with no problem.

I can't help with your real question about the shift linkage, unfortunately.:(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is just a PITA to connect. imho. 2 years on the change, you should be good, unless you been sanding it, or in a bunch of weeds.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Get yourself some 1/4" drive swivel sockets and ~ a 12" extension ... shouldn't be too hard with the right tools.

Rick.

Captain

O.K. I'll bite. What is a "PITA"? Make sure you completely remove the bolt until you have the shift rod back in place. Use lots of light and visually confirm your all lined up then place the bolt in a nut driver and feed it into the hole and tighten it up snug then finish with a socket wrench. I have found it easier to replace the leg with it in the vertical position rather than tilted up. Best of luck whenever you decide to do it. Rick.

travelship

Cadet

O.K. I'll bite. What is a "PITA"?

It's funny that you said "I'll bite" because it's a type of flatbread, as in pita pocket. In this instance though, it means pain in the ***.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Heres a trick I found, on mine ('81 50) right under the lower mount on the engine is a break in the case on the front just big enough to get a pair of needle nose vise grips on the shift rod, you can turn it , move it up and down, makes it alot easier to get it lined up.

And as stated 1/4'' drive with a 12'' extension and swivel, if the bolt keeps falling out of the socket put a peice of masking tape across the head of the bolt and push it into the socket, but, ya, that is the worst part of dropping a lower

And I agree also, don't need to change the pump every year.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

And I agree also, don't need to change the pump every year.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

As for the frequency of replacing the impeller, I want to do it again because a couple weeks ago I noticed a significant drop in water pressure, and my overheat alarm went off. I need to get in there again to see what is going on. My problem may also be my thermostats, but the drop in water pressure is sending me to the impeller first.