impeller replacement 03 115 4-stroke merc

rickfmurphy

Recruit
I have a 2003 Mercury 4-stroke that has been barely used. Ther water stream is very low and I am afraid of overheating the engine. Does anyone know if 4-strokes should have similar stream flow as 2-strokes?<br /><br />I wanted to take a look at the condition of the impeller, so I bought the manual and removed the 4 housing bolts and the 1 bolt on the bottom of the cavitation plate. I expected the lower unit to slide off, but it did not budge. I did not try to pry or hit it off since I did not want to cause any damage to the cavitation plate. Does anyone have any recomendations regarding removal of the gear housing on this motor? <br /><br />I have never had to remove the lower unit on any of my other outboards and am pretty new at marine maintenance.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: impeller replacement 03 115 4-stroke merc

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />The first time off is the worst. You usually have to get somewhat insistant with a plastic hammer to knock it loose and a prybar to get it off the locating pins. Be gentle as possible and don't hit the antiventilation plate. I usually rap it above the trim tab where there is plenty of meat. Then a prybar as soon as I can get it in there towards the front. Mine is rather wide and doesn't mar the aluminum too bad. A screwdriver will leave gouges. Once it drops 3/8" or so to clear the loacting pins, it should fall off.