Impeller Related Question

cgrooves

Seaman
I promise I've searched through this site (and others), but am still in need of clarification.

I have a 1979 boat with a Mercruiser 898 (GM 305) engine and a Mercruiser 898 (MC-I) sterndrive (SN: 5429261). I also have Mercruiser Service Manuals #3 & #4.

I know that the cooling system has received no preventative maintenance (other than thermostat replacement) in 4 years. The engine ran in the proper temperature range last year, but I was thinking about the impeller.

From what I can gather, the impeller is in the belt-driven water circulating pump on the front of the engine. The sea water pickup is in the sterndrive, but I am under the impression that there is no impeller in the sterndrive itself.

Is this correct? How often should the impeller be replaced in the belt-driven water circulating pump?

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Impeller Related Question

The rubber impeller IS in the sterndrive. The circulation pump on the engine has a metal impeller, and it doesn't get replaced.

Since you have already downloaded the manual, in manual #4, go to page 3B-4 and have a look.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

don't forget to replace that little o-ring seals the oil passage.

Don S

don't forget to replace that little o-ring seals the oil passage.

Don't start confusing things with useless info at this point, 'ell, he hasn't even found the raw water pump yet, let alone worry about the quad ring. :p

Last edited:

cgrooves

Seaman

Thanks!
Not feeling all that intelligent right now :D

I don't know how I skipped over that in the service manual. I just knew there was a pump in the outdrive, but had managed to convince myself otherwise after scanning through and overlooking it.

Guess I'll order one of those 'universal' kits and only use the gaskets & seals that are needed.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't think that was useless at all.
He already said that he's gonna tackle his impeller.
I'm pretty sure of that he knows where that is now.
And my little comment is confusing him now?
Whatever Man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don S

Not feeling all that intelligent right now :D

Don't take it too serious, I didn't mean it like that, and I forgot to put the :p at the end of my comment.

Why don't you take it apart and see exactly what you need. BEFORE you order something you don't need.

cgrooves

Seaman

No worries, fellas. Thanks again!

I ordered mercury/quicksilver part # 46-96148Q 8.
It fits my outdrive's serial #.