Impeller for my MerCruiser?

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class
After searching high and low and called a few dealers/online retailers, I'm totally confused about which impeller kit to buy for my MerCruiser 5.0 220HP. A dealer I called advised me the correct part number to use is 817275A4, which includes the entire pumping housing for $132. Of course, since I don't thinking it is necessary to replace the entire pump housing nor do I want to spend the extra $100, I started calling other dealer to see if another kit with just the pump, o-ring and gasket may be available. So far, I have found 47-43026Q06 or 47-43026Q02 may works. However, I'm still not sure the difference between the two part number other than price.

So, if there any one know the definitely part number for just impeller, o-ring and gasket, please let me know!!

MerCruiser 5.0 220HP Year 2000
Engine Serial Number: 0L837903
OutDrive Serial Number: 0L714661

Also, I'm trying to stay with QuickSilver brand, as I don't want any surprises for my first attempt to change impeller.

Thanks

B

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Impeller for my MerCruiser?

All you need to do is buy an impeller kit for an alpha one gen 2. Its that simple. Impellers are like wiper blades, changed often. Sierra kits are just fine.

Fun Times

Staff member

Part number 47-43026Q06 is a impeller REPAIR KIT-W/P with gaskets, ect. No housing.

Part number 47-43026Q02 is a rubber impeller ONLY. No nothing comes with it.

Type in the numbers in this link, 47-43026Q06 has a photo of the kit.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/partsByNumber.asp

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Hey asm_,
I have a 95 3.0lx bayliner with an alpha 1 gen 2. I am in the proccess of sending back my gen I impeller to overtons because they do not match. unfortunately they do not carry an impeller kit for the gen II.

Good luck.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get the OEM Mercruiser impeller kit 47-43026Q06.
Aftermarket kits do not include the face seal or the face seal installation tool.
Buying just the impeller is a waste of time as it has no gaskets or orings, and without those, will leak and probably overheat your engine.

Here is what you get in the OEM kit.

attachment.php

Attachments

• impeller kit.jpg
    impeller kit.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0

george248

Recruit

I have always been curious as to what the "face seal installation tool" is needed for... I have a Alpha one Gen 2 and installed a Sierra kit that looks just like the kit above, only without this "tool". I did not have any problems installing the face seal without it.

The instructions manual was not very clear on installing this seal and use of the seal tool. Does the seal tool push the seal down between the shaft and housing?

I just pushed the seal down the shaft by hand down to the impeller housing on mine. Hope it was done correctly? I put over 100hrs on it last summer with no problems yet.

Thanks to anyone who can clear up my confusion as to proper installation of the face seal and use of the face seal tool.

george248

Recruit

Ok...did a search and read several threads about the "tool"... looks like it sets the seal slightly above the imeller housing... I pushed mine all the way down... is this going to be a problem for me?

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok...did a search and read several threads about the "tool"... looks like it sets the seal slightly above the imeller housing... I pushed mine all the way down... is this going to be a problem for me?

The tools just sets the seal to the correct height so there is the correct amount of pressure on the face seal.
If you go with Sierra you'll need 18-3214 and 18-2599.

george248

Recruit

Thanks... got that from the search... tool sets the correct height of the seal.

So are there any worries if the tool was not used and the seal was pushed down to the pump housing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To tight will burn up the seal, to loose could allow dirt into the pump.