I'm stuck, sterndrive from bellhousing

Tex60

Seaman
I've found enough info I felt comfortable with starting so I disconnected the trim cylindars but the drive unit appears to be stuck to the bellhousing any suggestions on how to get the two apart without causing any damage? :confused:

and I didn't mention it but yes the six lock nuts are also removed LOL

edited.........

Alpha 1 1990 model

I'm trying to follow the instructions found here
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser6.html#/16

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: I'm stuck, sterndrive from bellhousing

I won't be able to answer your question but I'll save you some time...

What year, make, and model is the engine and outdrive? Remember pics are worth a thousand words!!!

mahend

Cadet

some need to be in forward gear to come apart

Tex60

Seaman

It is in forward gear, also how heavy is this thing when it comes loose?

Bondo

Staff member

It is in forward gear, also how heavy is this thing when it comes loose?

Ayuh,.... 'bout 80lbs,... Pull harder...

Tex60

Seaman

Ok my son and I got it loose and we got it down to pulling the bell housing. The bellows look good so far but before I could get them completely off I was told to get cleaned up for Easter Sunday
Meal. It may be that it was leaking where the clamps are because the u-joint bell housing clamp is turned way around where it is going to be a pain to get off. I think I'm going to get the kit with all the bellows and gimbel bearing, but I have got to be sure of where that water was coming in.

Also there was some water sitting inside the u-joint bellows

Bondo

Staff member

I think I'm going to get the kit with all the bellows and gimbel bearing,

Ayuh,.... Do the shift cable too....

Tex60

Seaman

Once again I would like to thank everyone for the help!

We just came in from working on it, we got all the bellows off and the shift cable bellow was dry rotted I'm trying to decide if I want to tackel changing the gimbel bearing. I will definatly be changing the shift cable due to the water being on it for some time the end of the sheath was coroded. The bearing was still packed with grease, and spins smoothly, I was thinking it will probably be ok. The amount of water in the u-joint bellows was the equivilant to a couple of tsp. and the clamp on the bell housing end of it was not as tight as it should have been that's why it had rotated from where it was supposed to be.

I will have to wait until payday to order parts that will give me some time to make me a bellows spreader tool.