Im fed up with this Boating life.

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I have just about had it with boating. They are a money drain and the most unreliable machines ever built. A push lawn mower is more dependable.

I have had such horrible luck with this Cobra 3.0 engine as most know from past posts. This is the third engine in this lemon. The first had a cracked block when i got it. Put a brand new one in and it ran horrible. Installer said it had a bad head so replaced it. It has seven hours on the newest one.

This year i was having issues with it hesitating a bit but i got the straightened around well. Yesterday i decided to check out a second compression gage i had since i replaced my other and the reading were through the roof. 300 psi. I pulled the gage out and water in #4 cyclinder. I cleared it out and put in the plug and it ran fine. Figuring water laying in the top of the block or head leaked down through the gasket so i turned the ears off and ran the motor for 10 mor seconds to pump all of it. Today I checked and no water in the cyliner and did a compression test. All ll four cylinders are good and equal. Water in the oil too however.

So WTF is going on. A leaky head gasket would allow water in the cylinder and possible leak down to the oil but why is the compression good and equal on all cylinder? A cracked head would loose compression as well but compression is good and the motor purs. I pulled number 4 plug wire and it definately drops the idle down so i know the cylinder is working. WTF is going on. Im just about done with this. I have tried to do everything right and something is definately against me on this.

Randy
1991 Sunbird "LEMON"
OMC 3.0 cobra 140 hp New reman.

flashback

Captain
Boats have always been needy and require a lot of love.... wish there was a better explanation but I don't have it.. they are a bit like a spoiled woman..LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Did you replace the exhaust manifold when you swapped motors, or are you using the freeze busted manifold from the freeze busted motor?

Water in the cylinders is either a freeze busted head or a freeze busted manifold. I'm leaning towards a bad manifold or bad elbow

Yes, boats are a suck-hole for cash

Compression numbers of 135-150 are normal with a good gauge. More than that is water or oil in the cylinders

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The entire engine minus the intake was replaced. The milky oil concerns me most

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The entire engine minus the intake was replaced. The milky oil concerns me most
The 3.0 uses a single manifold for intake and exhaust.

Your manifold is busted and leaking water into your motor.

Buy a new manifold and elbow

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not to sound stupid but how does that break. The boats hasnt been in the water yet this year and it didnt do it last year

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I got water in my motor once from not draining manifolds after done running it on the hose. Now I always pull those plugs on the exhaust just to be safe

airshot

Rear Admiral
Stop using used stuff, it is akways a crap shoot... If someone did it for you, go back to them, they sold you a pig with lipstick...

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took it to a local marina who only works on OMC boats. The engine was brand new crate engine remanufactured so I didn’t buy used. I bought what was available in my area and it wasn’t cheap, so I wasn’t cheaping out. However, it’s been over a year and a half since they put it in and it only has seven hours on it which pisses me off but there’s nothing I can do as far as warranty now.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I think someone took advantage of you and your money !! Boats are definetly not cheap, that is why mine gets excellent care!!