I'm back and up and running

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
WHEW! FINALLY got the boat up and running. Prop is done, power pack and rectifier have been changed, new starter battery. Boat runs good, but I'm thinking it isn't running at peak performance. I have 3 situations...1 I can fix myself, but the other 2 I need some input on. First, RPM's...I idle at around 1700, but as soon as I throw her into gear, I bottom out...none whatsoever. The second issue is speed.....with a 16 foot fiberglass boat, and a 115 Merc on the back of it, I just don't think it's going as fast as it should be. Until I get the tach fixed, or the speedometer hose/cable fixed, I don't know my speed. I'm gonna try to clean out the speedometer tube this weekend, and see if the speedometer even works. Anyone have any suggestions as to why I lose RPM's when in gear?

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I'm back and up and running

Number one , you're going to break your lower unit if you idle at 1700 ( how do you know if your tach dosen't work) and throw it into gear. Idle should be around 800-900RPM in neutral and 600 in FWD.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I'm back and up and running

I didn't think 1700 rpm's was accurate, or correct. And you're right....I have no idea if the tach is working correctly or not. I'm assuming it isn't. It doesn't sound as if it's revving high or anything, and no one at the launch has every said anything concerning their assumptions that it is or might be. I guess I'm gonna have to break out the manual and do some investigating/fixing. I'd prefer a tach to a speedometer, since speedometers are notoriously inaccurate. I'd also like the tach to ensure I'm running at peak engine performance, from idle to w.o.t., and all speeds in between.