ignition wiring help

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, trying to figure out my new ignition for my 1963 johnson 40 hp electramatic...

ive got battery pos. to the bat terminal
starter solenoid to the S terminal
which post does the shifter power go to?
also there are 2 black wires from the cut out switch and the magneto (i beleive) which posts do these guys go on?
my wiring diagram i got from here is great but the ignition isn't labled
i was told that They would be Starter(S), Battery(B), ground(M), magneto(M), choke(C) and ign accessory (+12VDC)(I)
so does that the ignition isn't grounded then what goes to M? and magneto M, does it matter which M you use? dont want to wire backwards...
and i take it the I post would be for the shifter powe
thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: ignition wiring help

Wire the two black wires to the 2 M terminals, one black wire to each terminal, doesn't matter which black wire goes to which M terminal. When you turn the switch to the off position, the switch grounds the two black wires togeather and shuts the engine down.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

awesome, thanks daviet!! quick and painless hahaha

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, so i finally got the boat on the water, tried to turn it over and nothing...nothing at all.
what should i check first? ive got an ammeter so i could check the switch, any suggestions?

thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Start at the battery and check the system all the way to the starter solenoid. Does the starter solenoid click when you try and start it, check the voltage to the small starter solenoid post that the switch actuates, do you have voltage there when you turn the key to start?

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont think i could hear the click when i turned the key, i didn't hear anything...so im thinking its ignition...but i wont be able to get down to the boat for a few days now...so ill check back in after i do a bit of digging...thanks Davie

lindy46

Captain

Ignition has nothing to do with the starter system. Check and make sure the starter solenoid is grounded (small post next to the large cable going to the starter) back to the engine.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive got the one small post grounded thru the safety switch...perhaps ill try and ground it straight to the big black cable next time im down there and see if that helps..is it possible that my safety switch isn't grounded properly, or not working right?
thanks

lindy46

Captain

Yup, I've seen broken safety switches - just ground directly to block and see what happens.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

k will do...is it a real bad idea to run the boat this way for too long?
i cant find that part in the parts list, you wouldn't happen to know the part number?
thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can run it that way, but be aware that it will start in gear or at a high throttle, best to replace the switch if you find that it is the problem.

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks like that was the problem...anyone have that part #? having problems finding it in the catalouge.